Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all, a big thank you. a few weeks a go I picked up a 98 wrangler for 5 grand (thats stupid chepa here on maui, like maybe a 2000 dollar wrangler where im from in the mainland) and I am slowly getting it back to its former glory.

i am doing the JK on a TJ springs and shocks deal, and I just finished the front. I am chasing several oil leaks, i just put on a new distributor o ring, and tightened my oil pan gasket, this has made it leak less, but its still dripping.

when i jacked it up to do the suspension, a bunch of oil spilled out, it looked like off the transfer case. i can see a leak at the speedo cable, I ordered a speedo gear so i need to fix that anyway.

the oil pan is covered in RTV, i got a new oil pan gasket in hopes of fixing it.

Are there any other options where this oil might be coming from besides the dreaded rear main seal?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
rear main seal won't leak just by jacking it up, it's more a pressure thing. The symptoms you describe sound like the pan gasket is gone and all the rtv on the outside was somebodies lame attempt to stop the leak.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Sounds like you had pools of oil standing, and when you jacked it up it dripped on the ground.

In some parts of the country, they refer to an oil leak as rust preventative.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Sounds like you had pools of oil standing, and when you jacked it up it dripped on the ground.

This is what it sounds like to me as well.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

sorry for the confusion, yes i know this is what happened, it didnt just leak from getting jacked up. I was wondering the source of the pooled oil, and why it wouldnt fall out at speed. is it from all the stuff that is leaking while driving? I havent driven it since redoing the distributor, it could all be oil that was trapped up there, but im skeptical.

Someone said if im doing the gasket i should replace the oil pan, does it deform easily causing major leaks? I dont want to replace it if i dont have to, hard to get one shipped to Maui cheaply

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If the pan isn't smashed or rotted no need to replace. But when it's off, make sure the bolt holes aren't dimpled, and the gasket flange is flat. If it's dimpled, tap it flat with a hammer, an use a straight edge to make sure it's flat. Otherwise it will leak again between the bolts.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Someone said if im doing the gasket i should replace the oil pan, does it deform easily causing major leaks? I dont want to replace it if i dont have to, hard to get one shipped to Maui cheaply
In that case, then just check the pan for rust and dents when you have it dropped and if it needs it, put on a coat of POR 15 or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator, or the like on the outside of the pan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts