Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Where? Not in California is it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Albuquerque NM
One year a few years back I spent a couple afternoons collecting parts and stashed them is a trunk but the day before the pull-a-thon they crushed my stash car's row

Ideally you find a lockable trunk with a key several rows away from the crush pattern

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
This thread (or the results of it) needs pics and videos

Reactions: atout and steves92

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I did one a few months back, we pulled axles off an f250 super duty for a buddies TJ build. Those things are freaking heavy, but two guys can carry, and you only need to get 20 ft.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
What would they have charged for those normally? I've never shopped them at a yard.
From Diggers link, a few hundred per axle, and we got that d60 and d70 for $120 total. These places usually charge for each piece...axle housing, axle shaft, rotors, etc. Definitely saved a good chunk of change from the normal yard price, and hundreds to thousands below what you would pay for those on Craigslist/etc.

I wouldn't do it every weekend, but if you find something good (you can search inventory online through Diggers link) you can save some money. We had a cordless impact driver and a sawszall, I wouldn't attempt this without those and normal hand tools.

·
Registered
15,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope $100 per complete axle assembly plus $10 core

So $2 to get in $100 plus $10 core plus $10 environment fee plus $7 tax
So total cost complete axle $130 each

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Nope $100 per complete axle assembly plus $10 core

So $2 to get in $100 plus $10 core plus $10 environment fee plus $7 tax
So total cost complete axle $130 each

K, so then we basically got two for one by getting it ourselves.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what the bggest thing someone has actully carried out? Not dragged or pulled on a hood....carried.

And can you use dollies, wheelbarrow,.... or do you have to roll, drag, and/or carry it off the lot?

·
Registered
15,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are u tube videos

You must carry but only 20 feet and the have start and end line next to checkout before and after that you can use transport devices at the front end loader in the yard will carry it for you,I brought a dolly but others had wagons and wheel narrows

I had a parachute bag slung in front of me with a large strap over my head/ behind my neck full of electronics PCMs cluster other control modules sensors a few throttle bodies with sensors some coil packs a distributor a couple fuel rails with injectors attached and a radio and DVD player and Sirius radio module that currently works and may or may not have lifetime service

Plus a couple large harness across my neck and in my hands a complete intake with throttle body and sensors and pig tails and in other hand a couple nav radios one pci bus one can bus and a amp

I left early but did see a pair of guys carry a complete engine and tranny suspended between two long poles (looked to be a turbo straight four)

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
That would be fun to watch without getting anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts