Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a fund raiser -the parking was in a field of very fine sand. I was getting ready to leave and I saw this brand new Jag, buried to the frame. The Tow truck was even afraid to pull in the field. I asked If I could help, They said yes. I put it in low range, locked the axles, hooked up the nylon tow strap, told him to keep it in neutral, and popped the Jag out like it weighed nothing. No tire spin, no drama. He went, blip, and he was clear.

There were several other cars that looked very stuck. I should have hung around, but we had somewhere we had to be.

It was just so easy................:angel:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
Just be wary of helping the wrong person. Always forewarn the owner you're about to recover that he assumes all liability and to always, always always (!!!) have the owner connect up the tow strap, hook, etc. Tell him to select the spot he wants it recovered from & that you're not responsible for damage. Make sure he is aware you're offering your help if he is willing to take the chance, otherwise to call AAA. The more he does, like connecting your tow strap or tow hook to his vehicle, the less possiblity of him going after you for damages.

There are stories of severe axle or steering damage caused by Jeepers trying to recover vehicles without proper tow points where the owners of those vehicles took the Jeep owner to small claims court, blaming him for the damage. :eek:

That said, I'll always offer to help if I think I can do the job without damaging the other vehicle, or least with the owner agreeing that he is responsible for any damage my recovery or recovery attempt causes. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I made sure he hooked up the strap himself.

The thing that was so cool- it was SO easy. Rubicons are awesome.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Back in june I winched someone out on Corolla Beach. I had him hook the strap up to his tow hook though and told him I was not responsible for any damage although I knew I could get him out without tearing anything up. He and everyone with him was so grateful. I was was happy to because I got to use my new winch! In one way or another I helped get 3 or 4 vehicles unstuck. Its hard for me to keep going past someone when I know I can help. Congrats to the op for helping out a stranger.

·
Registered
117 Posts
image-4276959501.jpg

I've never winched anyone in my jeep but I have winched quite a few out with my tow trucks. This excavator was off in the lake lol.
Seems way to risky people will try to blame people for anything these days.

·
Registered
10,020 Posts
The guy in the excavator ? Lol
Yeah, lol. No the jag. Amazes me that people have no clue that the car will actually move on its own. Reminds me of my GF, we had just got 8" of new snow so we decide to take the duramax. The drive way has a slight incline, so i keep my mouth shut to see if she will let the truck do its own thing.... Nope, stabs the throttle. Instant stuck.

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
For future reference, that method is fine for a mild tug like was needed. If the stuck gets any harder, traction any higher, stuck rig any heavier, strap any shorter, or some combination thereof, turn the rig around and tug from the other end.

When you pull backwards from the front bumper, the compression of the suspension increases the load on the front axle, drives traction up, and the higher stresses will break stock axles faster than you would ever believe possible. There is a reason Jeep put the smaller axle in the front.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that also put undue stress on the ring and pinion, so much so that it could damage both?

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that also put undue stress on the ring and pinion, so much so that it could damage both?
In that direction, the front ring and pinion would suffer the least due to being a low pinion and being driven on the drive instead of the coast side in reverse. Opposite is true for the rear axle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is a Rubicon- and I think that the axles are the same 44-front or rear.

But I could be wrong--

But-I appreciate the advice and will try and do it that way in the future.

And the hook on the Jag is attached to his factory tow hook which is right next to the muffler.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts