Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet I've done over 100 searches before I ordered my wheel/tire package. I decided to keep my stock 18" Altitude wheels and ordered 295/70/18 Grappler G2's. They'll be here Tuesday. I'm fearing I've made an error in judgment on size. I have 1.5 spacers and Bushwacker fenders with no lift.

I was looking at size while ordering and it says they're 34 inches. I figured by the time I mount them that it will be 33 or less. Now I'm starting to second guess that. If I have clearance issues where will they be? Front bumper? I believe I did too much research, got frustrated and ordered with too many variables in mind.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
You will most likely be OK with clearance issues with the 1.5" spacers and Bushwacker fenders, as the tires will most likely fall under 34" when mounted and under weight of your Jeep. Off-roading and flexing my still cause rubbing.

Of slight concern would be mounting 12" wide tires to your 7.5" wide wheels. While the Nitto tire site shows 7.5" to 10" wheel widths are acceptable, I believe 8.5" is preferable.

I certainly understand too much research and how it can add to the frustration. I am quite sure other WF members, much wiser on this topic, will weigh in soon.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
You might rub if you disconnect or have the wheel cranked in an off camber situation. You're probably good on the highway though you might want to cut or remove the plastic air dam under your bumper. It's useless and ugly anyway.

Worst case, grab a Teraflex budget leveling kit for about $160. Won't affect steering or ride and you can run stock shocks but it will give you 2 in the front one one in the rear (that sounds dirty, doesn't it :D) and will probably alleviate any rubbing. Unless someone runs those tires, it's hard to tell for sure if they will rub. That's an odd size not too many run.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Of slight concern would be mounting 12" wide tires to your 7.5" wide wheels. While the Nitto tire site shows 7.5" to 10" wheel widths are acceptable, I believe 8.5" is preferable.
I show the exact dimensions on the tire to be 34.3x11.6 That's why I was thinking that it'd be fine on the 7.5 I may be wrong.

That's an odd size not too many run.
I've always been a little weird. You guys have definitely helped calm my nerves some about the tires fitment.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I show the exact dimensions on the tire to be 34.3x11.6 That's why I was thinking that it'd be fine on the 7.5 I may be wrong.

I've always been a little weird. You guys have definitely helped calm my nerves some about the tires fitment.

Yep, should be no problem on 7.5" wheels, but just like your tire size, being different is how you make a Jeep your own! :thumb:

I do like the look of the Nitto G2s; they should look awesome on your black Altitude wheels. After the install, post some pics.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do like the look of the Nitto G2s; they should look awesome on your black Altitude wheels. After the install, post some pics.
Sure will! My tire guy says I'll be the first of his customers to run them, so we'll see. Im kind of nervous about the look. I wanted Trail Grapplers but the weight, and mileage folks get out of them scared me off. I daily this Jeep so I had to balance look and function. The KO2's look awesome, but they don't have many sizes out until Spring.
Yep, should be no problem on 7.5" wheels
That's a relief! Thanks for your input. I'll get the sawzall ready for the air dam.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Look great! I just ordered a set of 285/70/17s along with my ATX Ledge wheels from DTD. The Nittos got great reveiews and I bet you'll love them. Congrats.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've put a couple hundred miles on them, and they are just as quiet as the stockers.. My MPG has dropped, but I feel great about the purchase. I got it all cleaned up today and I'll post a few more detailed pics tomorrow. I also noticed it raised the Jeep at least a inch or two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts