Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my pullies are making this screeching sound. it doesnt increase in volume when i step on the gas. I need to know if there is something i can do to fix this before i replace them. and if i do have to replace them, were can i find a good cheap set of pullies?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
If the problem is with idler pullies, you can carefully remove the bearing seal and add some oil or grease. And with metal idler pullies, it is possible to replace the bearing.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Does yours only happen when it's real cold out? On first start in the AM only? This has happened to me twice now...and both times it was pretty cold in the morning when I started it - high 20s, low 30s. Seems that after it warms up, the noise goes away....

I've been curious about this too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
you sure it's not the belt?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does yours only happen when it's real cold out? On first start in the AM only? This has happened to me twice now...and both times it was pretty cold in the morning when I started it - high 20s, low 30s. Seems that after it warms up, the noise goes away....

I've been curious about this too.
you might just have to change your serpentine belt, i also find out that the noise is coming from my powere steering pump. i took the belt off and turn all my pullies and the powere steering ended up making the noise thank god, i was starting to think the water pump was going

·
Registered
64 Posts
If it's your power steering pump, then you should just replace it. Replacing the shaft bearing for the pulley on the inside is a huge pain in the ass. If it's making noise right now, then it will soon start leaking out around the shaft and you'll eventually lose enough fluid to not have any power steering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's your power steering pump, then you should just replace it. Replacing the shaft bearing for the pulley on the inside is a huge pain in the ass. If it's making noise right now, then it will soon start leaking out around the shaft and you'll eventually lose enough fluid to not have any power steering.
what if i put a delete idler bracket? i know i wont have power steering but will me driving without it damage anything like my powersteering gearbox? or even what connects the steering wheel to it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts