Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there have any experience/possible horror stories of pulling a lighter weight travel trailer with a 2015 2 door JK geared with 4.56?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I pull a pop up that is 3200 loaded and I have 373. I can tell it is back there and hills I am cranking the high rpms. I have upgraded brakes and trailer brakes. I am not sure how a 2 door would handle that weight. If it is windy it will toss you around

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ihave pulled a landscaping trailer with a little more than 1 ton stone, so roughly 2500-3000. I would not want to go far or at high speeds at all. It's a stock 2dr with 3,21 BTW. Wasn't so much the pulling but it really wanted to shove the jeep around and brakes didn't feel adequate.

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
Anybody out there have any experience/possible horror stories of pulling a lighter weight travel trailer with a 2015 2 door JK geared with 4.56?
With a travel trailer you need to be concerned with the Frontal Area spec in your owner's manual.

I've towed a 3500 pound cargo trailer for years with several JKs (3.73/manual, 4.10/auto and a 4.88/auto) All with upgraded brakes. What I learned is Jeeps stink for towing, so now I tow with a truck.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,856 Posts
Trailer length and load balance are key, especially in short wheelbased JK's more so than total weight. Electric brakes will make a huge dufference in vehicle stability when slowing rapidly. Speed is contributing factors in both of these videos, but they are also hauling too long and probably too heavy trailers.

Empty gray water and do not fill your water tank until you have reached your destination. 2, 40 gallon tanks can add more than 640lbs of pendulous weight to a trailer. 2nd video is a Cherokee I think, but the wheel base is similar to the JK.

Video 1 skip to 1:00
Video 2 skip to 0:15

·
Registered
53 Posts
Did your ride come with those gears? If you put them in aftermarket and you had 321's when you bought it, then your max pull capacity is 2000 lbs.
Call the service department at the dealer and have them confirm your capacity.

I did, found out my JKUWW with 3.73 and a factory installed hitch was equipped with a towing capacity of 4400 lbs from the factory.
Not that I would test that at any time in my life, 3500 is more than enough for me.

I pulled 8x10 enclosed single axle trailer while moving houses and they were loaded heavy....no problem with my stock set up.
I wouldn't even try pulling my friends 8x12 dual axle trailer though...my daughter has a 1/2 ton so I let her pull that.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
I did, found out my JKUWW with 3.73 and a factory installed hitch was equipped with a towing capacity of 4400 lbs from the factory.
Not that I would test that at any time in my life, 3500 is more than enough for me.
Not beating you up, but no American/Canadian JK in the history of JKs had 4400 lbs tow rating. Your dealer gave you incorrect information.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/the-jk-towing-thread-2007-2018-owners-manual-specs-2325363.html

EDIT: here's the page from your 2016 owner's manual

·
Registered
239 Posts
Can't speak for a 2 dr but we tow a 17' Casita travel trailer with our 2017 JKU Rubicon Recon, 4.10, auto, stock tires. Trailer is about 3200 lbs and tows with no problems. We are currently at a rally and had to tow into a 10-15mph headwind most of the way here. Tows fine in OD on the flats at 60-65mph, would shift to 4th on hills and occasionally 3rd on the steep ones. MPG 12.8 for the trip here. We use an Andersen weight distributing hitch and Prodigy brake controller. We have no sway issues and never have felt like the trailer is overpowering the Jeep. Highest coolant temp I saw on this trip was 215-220 pulling hills, otherwise about 208, trans 167-168 which is where it always is. On nice smooth freeway can almost forget the trailer is back there. Granted is does not pull like a 6.4 Hemi or Cummins diesel but is adequate for a trailer this size/weight. We are planning an Alaska trip next year and do not anticipate any problems.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I've pulled a loaded 1900lb pop-up with trailer brakes with my 15 2dr 3:73 gears manual with no problems. 2drs are rated at 2000lb towing capacity. Plenty of power, but that's not the problem. I believe the trouble starts with the 2r being to short. I wouldn't chance pulling that much weight with a 2dr, for your and your families saftey and the saftey of those innocent people you might kill. 2drs are rated at 2000lbs for a reason, you might push the envelope by 1 or 2 hundred pounds but anything more is just asking for trouble and probably a huge lawsuit.

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
I've pulled a loaded 1900lb pop-up with trailer brakes with my 15 2dr 3:73 gears with no problems. 2drs are rated at 2000lb towing capacity. Plenty of power, but that's not the problem. I believe the trouble starts with the 2r being to short. I wouldn't chance pulling that much weight with a 2dr, for your and your families saftey and the saftey of those innocent people you might kill. 2drs are rated at 2000lbs for a reason, you might push the envelope by 1 or 2 hundred pounds but anything more is just asking for trouble and probably a huge lawsuit.
2016 and up are rated at 3500 with 3.73 gears or higher. Wheelbase is not the issue.

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
Tongue weight could also be a concern as some trailers need a higher tongue weight than 10% pull properly. Otherwise @USStrongman hit the nail on the head. The only additional I would add is slow down. Speed induced sway is almost an impossibility at speeds 60 mph or slow. It is also a lot safer with crosswinds or passing semi's.

Reactions: USStrongman

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
As a friend/mechanic told me, you can tow well above mfg ratings if you are smart with your towing. He stated he has pulled a 10,000+ lb trailer behind a class C RV which has a rating of 3,500-5,000 lbs.

You just have to slow WAY down. Brakes do not have the power to stop a heavy load and depending on climate could be cooling issues as well. He stated manufacturer towing ratings are determined by a vehicle being able to maintain a certain speed with engine/trans temps staying in check as well as a specified stopping distance with that weight.

I personally wouldn’t want to tow at/above what a manufacturer states can be done however many do it and are able to complete their trips in a more successful manor vs those videos posted above. Traveling at higher speeds is bad and also properly loading the trailer is extremely important.

I also feel a tall camping trailer at 3,500 lbs pulls different then a 3,500 lb open car hauling trailer. A tall camping trailer improperly loaded with a inexperienced (over correcting) driver is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
688 Posts
2016 and up are rated at 3500 with 3.73 gears or higher. Wheelbase is not the issue.
I've just checked 3 websites and the towing capacity for a 2016 2dr 3:73 is still 2000lbs. When the 16's came out I saw the towing capacity listed in some places at 3500lbs too. I thought great as I was looking for a pop-up at the time, but after calling FCA and checking around I found that the 3500lbs was'nt true. I don't know the reason for the confusion. Here's one of the sites.

2016 Jeep Wrangler - Specs, Trailer Towing, Weights and Dimensions | New-cars.com

·
Administrator
16,985 Posts
I've just checked 3 websites and the towing capacity for a 2016 2dr 3:73 is still 2000lbs. When the 16's came out I saw the towing capacity listed in some places at 3500lbs too. I thought great as I was looking for a pop-up at the time, but after calling FCA and checking around I found that the 3500lbs was'nt true. I don't know the reason for the confusion. Here's one of the sites.

2016 Jeep Wrangler - Specs, Trailer Towing, Weights and Dimensions | New-cars.com

But did you check the owner's manual :D
There's a sticky at the top of the JK general Forum LINK but below you'll find the page out of the 2016 manual. Also applies to 2017 and 2018 JKs, so not a typo.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have a 2012 JKUS 4 door with 3.21 and 35" tires. I pulled at 3000+ Coleman pop-out tent trailer with trailer brakes all over CA. You could feel it on the uphills, but anywhere else (flat earth, stopping etc.) as long as you drove like a responsible driver, I had zero problems with it. All you need to make sure anything over 1 ton has trailer brakes....and make sure they are ALWAYS set right before each outing....

·
Registered
289 Posts
I do not have any first hand info on a 2 door jeep pulling trailers.

4 door, 3.73 gears, brakes on trailer, weight distribution hitch, big brakes on jeep . Keep the speed low (under 50 mph) and following distances greater than normal . As long as the trailer is light weight it works. In high winds you may have to pull over but I have also had that problem with a Dodge 2500 4x4 pulling a 30 foot Camper in the Kansas plains. Got wind bound for a couple hours.
I would be concerned with the lighter weight and shorter wheel base of your two door.

A small jeep gear trailer like you see in my photo would work for you and I know a smaller pop up trailer will work . On any trailer getting over 2 K I would want brakes and a weight distribution hitch. I would not pull any trailers other than a jeep gear trailer with a lifted/ rock crawler jeep.

Hopefully someone that has actually done this will answer instead of guys like me with only opinions.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Trailer length and load balance are key, especially in short wheelbased JK's more so than total weight. Electric brakes will make a huge difference in vehicle stability when slowing rapidly. Speed is contributing factors in both of these videos, but they are also hauling too long and probably too heavy trailers.

Empty gray water and do not fill your water tank until you have reached your destination. 2, 40 gallon tanks can add more than 640lbs of pendulous weight to a trailer. 2nd video is a Cherokee I think, but the wheel base is similar to the JK.

Video 1 skip to 1:00
Video 2 skip to 0:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nNpf-jYWdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxaK6It5WEk
Outstanding examples of lousy driving. Towing with marginal equipment requires skills.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,856 Posts
@TerryC6 first, how ya doing?

Second, maybe you can explain the theory behind such a huge jump in towing capacity in the 3.21 vs 3.73? It jumps 75% in towing ability. At that value, putting all other factors aside, you would be in the 10k range with 5.13's!!!

·
Premium Member
9,575 Posts
@TerryC6 first, how ya doing?

Second, maybe you can explain the theory behind such a huge jump in towing capacity in the 3.21 vs 3.73? It jumps 75% in towing ability. At that value, putting all other factors aside, you would be in the 10k range with 5.13's!!!
Doing fine but to many projects around the house, you?

I think it is nothing more than a drive train limitation. With 3.21's you just are not putting enough torque to the rear wheels. At 60 mph in 5th gear with stock tires, (31 inches) you are only turning around 1700 rpms. The engine is only developing about 190 ft pounds of torque or 500 ft lbs of torque to the rear wheels. With 3.73 and the same parameters the engine is developing 250 ft lbs of torque or 755 ft lbs of torque to the rear wheels.

Thats the math but what it means is with 3.21 you would be running at close to if not at 100% engine load at all times trying to pull 3500 lbs.

If drive train was the only limitation you could probably pull 10K pounds with 5.13 gears as the Dodge Ram 1500 8000 lbs. But brakes, suspension and frame all play a role.

I would have no problem pulling 5000 lbs with a bunch of conditions. Type of trailer, small side and frontal area, tongue weight 5% to 7% and speed to never exceed 60 mph. But that is me, I have been doing this for almost 50 years.

Reactions: USStrongman
1 - 20 of 28 Posts