Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a jeep wrangler sahara with a max towing package and towing capacity of 3500 lbs. Can I pull a 2000 lb trailer with one 1000 lb horse. I live in Florida and there are NO hills whatsoever.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You're gonna be close to your max. Do you know exactly how much the horse weighs? Any saddles or tack to add in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sk8andrea

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
NO WAY. Yea sure, you can tow the weight, but 1000lbs of that weight is a living creature that moves around and is not strapped to anything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Trailer weight ratings and GVWR are often kind of misleading. Just because you have a 3500# tow rating doesn't mean you can always actually hook up to a 3500# loaded trailer and drive off. Your loaded trailer plus your loaded vehicle cannot legally exceed the Gross Combined Weight Rating. It's not at all uncommon that your remaining allowance for the trailer is substantially less than your Max Tow Rating.

Also, Tweak has a valid point. Dynamic loading should be considered to lower the safe towing capacity because the forces involved can far exceed the forces that would be generated in a static load condition. Cary a cake pan half full of water across the room and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'll jump to the conclusion that the horse isn't yours.
I do so on the basis of how little regard you show for it's well being.
If someone can afford to feed a horse they can rent a pu for a day I'd think.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I've towed many horses in a few different trailer/tow vehicle combos (2 horse bumper pulls and up to 4 horse goosenecks). Would never want to do it with JKU. Did it a few times with a Grand Cherokee with the V8 and had trailer brakes, not fun and do not recommend. Full size truck is the best even with a small 2 horse bumper pull trailer.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,340 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Seems to me he was asking an innocent question to make sure he wasn't doing something unsafe, so checking with people more knowledgeable about the subject was smart. You jump down his throat for that? Will you be calling PETA now?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Seems to me he was asking an innocent question to make sure he wasn't doing something unsafe, so checking with people more knowledgeable about the subject was smart. You jump down his throat for that? Will you be calling PETA now?
Sorry if you're offended when someone shows some compassion towards animals.
I've seen the outcome of a loaded horse trailer playing wag the dog with just barely enough rig.
That driver got to watch the cop put the horses down.

The only call I'd be making would be to his face IF I saw him doing this.
Dumbass pops to mind.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
4,340 Posts
Lets summarize this...

1. Maxing out your Jeeps theoretical towing capacity, even on flatland, is maybe not such a great idea.

2. Animals need great care in transport to ensure a healthy cargo is delivered.

3. Well meaning but poor communicating Internet twats are in full effect on every discussion forum known. (disclaimer: Twat - The word twat is widely used as a derogatory epithet, especially in British English, referring to a person considered obnoxious or stupid.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I had a bad experience one time pulling a badly made two horse trailer.I had my leg in a cast so the wife was driving to the horse show,started down a hill and the trailer started to push the truck.Almost up set the whole rig,when we did get stopped the wife would not drive again.I got rid of that trailer and bought a four horse goose.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I had a bad experience one time pulling a badly made two horse trailer.I had my leg in a cast so the wife was driving to the horse show,started down a hill and the trailer started to push the truck.Almost up set the whole rig,when we did get stopped the wife would not drive again.I got rid of that trailer and bought a four horse goose.
I sold a two horse bumper pull and picked up a three horse goose in its place. Hot damn was it easy to pull that gooseneck. Smooth ride, never had a single issue with getting pushed around or trailer sway. There is something to be said for gooseneck hitches when it comes to hauling animals.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I have pulled my stock trailer loaded with all sorts of things with the JKU iI am sure I have been at or slightly above MAX. I would never pull it with a horse or cattle.

I have had my Dodge HD 4X4 250 sway do to movement of cattle and horses with this trailer. Would not want to have that with the lighter weight, shorter wheel base JKU. I have a lever action rifle in the Dodge just for when I am pulling that stock trailer I am hoping I never to use it.

A stock trailer does not have the middle divider but I do tie the horses in to stop much of their movement.

Especially with stock- slow down, increase following distances , pay attention with lots of rest breaks, No phone/text/eating /drinking. Keep a gun handy, extra lead ropes, halters, first aid kit, water , double check all doors - I use an extra chain with a snap on every door to make sure they stay closed. I do not go on an interstate highway with live stock.

Again, I would not want to pull our horse trailer with your horse in it with a JKU I would want a longer , heavier vehicle to tow it with.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.