Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey eveyone,
My father-in-law is looking at buying a jeep. He said he wants an automatic, and had the question that if he wanted to pull it behind his camper if he could just kick the transfer case into nuetral if it would let him pull it or what? I tried it on my standard and it seems like it would work but not sure about an automatic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have no experience, but here is what my '95 Owners Manual says:

Recreational Towing - 1) Shift transfer case to 2H and check that the 4wd light goes out. 2) Drive 10ft forward and backward to make certain axle is disengaged. 3) Shift transmission to Neutral 4) Leave key in unlocked OFF position 5) Shift transfer case from 2H to Neutral position 6) Shift manual transmission into gear or automatic transmission into Park. 7) Attach tow bar

·
Registered
81 Posts
so after you pull the drive shaft then what poor fluid every where not all jeeps have sye ..........work on that .........ive seen lots of people tow jeeps in 2wh but i dont know about long term effects this might have.......cameron

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
The guy who owned my 98 jeep before me told me he pulled it behind his RV to races all the time. Just kick it in neutral and turn the key to some position. I'll look at the manual I know I saw how to do it in there.

This might just be on the TJ's. So im not sure =/

~Lev

·
Registered
227 Posts

Recreational Towing - 1) Shift transfer case to 2H and check that the 4wd light goes out. 2) Drive 10ft forward and backward to make certain axle is disengaged. 3) Shift transmission to Neutral 4) Leave key in unlocked OFF position 5) Shift transfer case from 2H to Neutral position 6) Shift manual transmission into gear or automatic transmission into Park. 7) Attach tow bar

What the h... Why would you shift into gear or into Park to tow a jeep. It's got to be in neutral with either so that you don't screw it up.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts

This is the correct method. Your t-case is in neutral, meaning that your driveshafts, are disconnected. The reason you leave it in Park, is so that the transmission stays lubricated, while towing. Think about it..........why argue with D/C.........they built it, they ought to know how to tow it. Also my son had an automatic Grand Cherokee, and that is the way they said to haul it. We hauled it many times that way, behind Coaches, with no ill effect.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the answer DaveC. That should make my father in law happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts