Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be spending the holiday weekend pulling the head off my 95 2.5 so that I can extract some broken exhaust studs, and wanted to see if there was anything else I should do while I have the head off?

I already have a gasket set and new set of head bolts, but wanted to see if maybe I should replace anything else while I'm in there.

·
Registered
289 Posts
check your exhaust manifold for cracks

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Have a mechanics straightedge handy to check the flatness of the head and block.
A quality "click" torque wrench makes torquing the head much easier.

A torch to heat the manifold while removing the broken studs might help. Soaking the stud area with penetrating oil starting now and continuing twice a day until the weekend might help too.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
i would try to weld nuts to the broken studs before i went through the trouble of pulling the head

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Leave the head in place and pull the driver's fender instead
^^^^^Think outside the box! This seems way simpler than pulling the head. Welding a nut on the stud is also a good idea. The heat from welding could help free the stub of the stud.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have heard of the method of welding a nut to the broken stud to pull it, but I don't have a welder.

I'm replacing the valve cover gasket as it leaking so I figured I go ahead and pull the head as well to get better access for drilling.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Last night I had to do was on my 4.0 YJ.
It was the very back bolt...
I removed the fender and it and used one of those goofy as seen on TV drill out deals.. as soon as the bit started to cut into the bolt it just spun right out.

It's not the worst idea in the world to pull the head and at least if you end up needing a machine shop to drill the bolt for you the heads already off. While you have it off you might as well ream any cylinder ridges and get a valve job done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts