Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
39,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after months of saving, I've finally decided on Goodyear duratracs (thanks xj for the added info) :thumb: but before I pull the trigger I gotta admit I'm a bit hesitant... I want 33s I bought procomp wheels (ill add the exact ones later when I remember) 15x8s. I've triple checked they'll fit. I have 3.21 gears on my 2007 jk x.
The more I read the more nervous I'm getting at first ive heard there isn't much power difference, and there isn't much loss of mpg. My biggest problem will be getting the speedometer fixed. I can deal with that. However the more I read im finding out about a huge loss of power and mpg, anyone running this set up, or know someone who is that will be able to tell me their input? Thanks folks!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
So after months of saving, I've finally decided on Goodyear duratracs (thanks xj for the added info) :thumb: but before I pull the trigger I gotta admit I'm a bit hesitant... I want 33s I bought procomp wheels (ill add the exact ones later when I remember) 15x8s. I've triple checked they'll fit. I have 3.21 gears on my 2007 jk x.
The more I read the more nervous I'm getting at first ive heard there isn't much power difference, and there isn't much loss of mpg. My biggest problem will be getting the speedometer fixed. I can deal with that. However the more I read im finding out about a huge loss of power and mpg, anyone running this set up, or know someone who is that will be able to tell me their input? Thanks folks!
Are you running the stock 32" tires currently? If so, going with 33" Duratracs (which, like most tires, aren't REALLY the listed 33" size), you should be okay.

You WILL take an mpg hit, but it shouldn't be too bad. If your 15" rims are alloy, your tire/wheel combo might even be lighter than your stockers. Somebody's who is running a similar setup should be able to confirm this.

As for your gearing, going from the stock 32's to 33" DT's shouldn't cost you too much power, either. You might have to downshift to climb a hill or pass cars on the freeway, but otherwise you won't notice much difference.

Use the tire calculator in the link below to determine how "off" your speedometer will be after the change. It ain't gonna be much. :D

And your rig will look badass with DuraTracs, IMHO. :punk:

Tire Size Calculator - Discount Tire Direct

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I have the Duratracs 33x12.50x15s, they really measure 32x11.50x15 on 15x8" wheels. I' ve got a TJ sport with 3.07 gears and a 3spd auto, I really don't see a power loss, but I did lose some mpg's I was getting 19mpg on my stock 30x9.50x15s, and now I'm getting about 16mpg. I really don't think you're gonna see much difference in either fuel or power loss, and you're gonna love the Duratracs.

They're awesome on the jeep! they feel like I'm driving on a street tire when I'm on the the road, but when I'm off road they just power through everything! 2 days ago (I was by myself) I found some 4 wheelin places and tried them out, with the recent rains the trails were pretty washed out and some of them turned out to be kinda deep, I got into an area where I didn't really want to try to cross, but I couldn't get turned around so I put it 4 wheel hi and went for it at a slow but constant speed, it was like driving down into a bowl and back up and out the other side. the water was almost to the top of the tires at the deepest point. The tires didn't slip, the jeep went right through like it was nothing. I was Totally impressed!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm in the same boat! Just about to pull the trigger on the 33" duratracs... just waiting for my wheels to arrive.

I have to say, the 33s really being 32s is dissapointing...I still have in the back of my mind that I should go with the Cooper 295's instead of the duratrac 285's. It will be such a relief to get them on so I can stop obsessing over the decision!!

·
Registered
39,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My thoughts exactly. Cept, I've had my wheels for 3 months now... Lol I have either 29s or 30s on now. I can't remember

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
:)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Here's a set of Duratracs 33x12.50x15s on a JK with some wheels with backspacing to push them out. Granted it's not a pretty green like your is:punk:, but it'll give you a good idea how it will look.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If you're going with a taller rim like 16" or 17" the tire size 285/75R16 will be bigger. Goodyear shows it to be 33.1x11.3x16 on a 16x8" rim

·
Registered
39,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll admit they look sick, which is what sold me. I just wanna make sure it'll all work out ok, I don't like buyers remorse.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
My thoughts exactly. Cept, I've had my wheels for 3 months now... Lol I have either 29s or 30s on now. I can't remember
I was assuming 32's. Hmm. So you're power loss will be a little more noticeable than what I said in my first post, and your mpg difference, as well. Like I said, it'll be most noticeable going up hills and passing on the freeway.

Still, I'd do it. :thumb:

The day you drive in your first epic snowfall other drivers will shy away from your green thing, cuz you'll be behind the wheel just laughing your ass off at the awesome traction of your shiny new DT's. :D

·
Registered
39,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kbwwolf said:
I was assuming 32's. Hmm. So you're power loss will be a little more noticeable than what I said in my first post, and your mpg difference, as well. Like I said, it'll be most noticeable going up hills and passing on the freeway.

Still, I'd do it. :thumb:

The day you drive in your first epic snowfall other drivers will shy away from your green thing, cuz you'll be behind the wheel just laughing your ass off at the awesome traction of your shiny new DT's. :D
Hahaha awesome. As long as i get like 15 mpg I can survive. 12 I'll cry. Lol ill get over it. But ill cry.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Hahaha awesome. As long as i get like 15 mpg I can survive. 12 I'll cry. Lol ill get over it. But ill cry.
:eek:

12?

I'm averaging just under 16mpg with a 3" lift, heavy additions inside and out, and 315/16 DT's. And 4 doors. PLUS, I drive like a carjacker. You should be in good shape.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
kbwwolf said:
:eek:

12?

I'm averaging just under 16mpg with a 3" lift, heavy additions inside and out, and 315/16 DT's. And 4 doors. PLUS, I drive like a carjacker. You should be in good shape.
I was just shy of 17 average off the lot Went to about 15 after the tires lift and winch weight. Got the 2 back when I started driving smarter.

Needless to say I'm usually closer to 15 than 17. LOL

·
Oilfield Jeeper
3,294 Posts
Next mod ... gears. I'm going to be running 4.10:1 gears with my 33's I'm getting next month :thumb:

1 - 20 of 102 Posts