Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't a question about how much weight i can pull lol,

I just bought a 16 FT Travel Trailer, dry weight is 2200LB and full is 3500lb, so i know i am safe.

This is my first travel trailer and honestly i have not pulled anything on any vehicle in about 20yrs.

So this is more looking for advice maybe suggestions or thoughts on pulling a trailer with a JKU, pics would be great also :)

So i have a 2015 JKUR, i am running 285/70/17 tires so they are sticking out a bit with NO lift. >> i am curious to see if i am going to have an issue with this on the rear tires in the sense of weight on a rubbing.

I am also getting a brake control / wiring harness installed on my Jeep this week.

And going to be running a equalizer hitch.

So any more thoughts/ suggestions?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I Have that set up on my wifes JKU and it works fine. Be sure to get that weight dist hitch, it makes a world of difference on how it sits.
Do you have 3;73 gears or better?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I will also add that her jeep is bone stock with no lift, it will function safely and correctly this way, but it would benefit for her to get a small lift with a higher spring rate.

·
Administrator
16,972 Posts
I Have that set up on my wifes JKU and it works fine. Be sure to get that weight dist hitch, it makes a world of difference on how it sits.
Do you have 3;73 gears or better?
FWIW All Rubis have at least 3.73.

Just pay attention to your GVWR and tongue weight. You'll be fine.

EDIT: I'll also mention the Jeep OM states max frontal area is 32 sq ft. A lot of wind resistance on a trailer behind a Jeep is not much fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive got 4:10 gears and max tow package, not worried about the weight as i know i am fine.
Also getting the equalizer hitch and brake controller.

No pics yet as i am going in to sign papers tomorrow and should have it next week sometime.

Just looking for things i should be careful/mindful of seeing ive never pulled a trailer before.

And it is a 2008 Starcraft Sportsman > 250LB is the hitch weight if i remember correctly

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your equalizer hitch, properly adjusted, will prevent the back end of your vehicle from sagging. Very wise to go with an equalizer hitch.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I wouldn't do it, especially if I planned to tow a lot. You can probably get by if it is something done a few times a year, at low altitude and driven with great care. You will probably get from point A to point B, but you're pushing things right to the limit with no margin for error and not considering the weight of passengers and gear inside the vehicle.

3500 lbs is the max weight of the trailer. You also have to consider the Gross Combined Weight of both trailer and the tow vehicle. The 3500 lbs on the trailer assumes an empty tow vehicle.

There are simply better vehicles to tow that much weight. Even when pulling stuff with 3/4 ton trucks I don't like to exceed about 75% of the max load listed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
^^^ Agree with you. It can be done, but too close for comfort especially with little ones. Just not worth it.

If the OP decides on it, which is sounds like he already has, I'd go to a CAT scale and get everything weighed with everything including passengers. You'll be surprised how quickly things add up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The only way to know is to tow before you buy. My Ranger [3,500 lb towing capacity] seems way overloaded pulling a 3500 lb trailer without hardly any frontal area on the open trailer. My F350 is steady as a rock with a 12,500 lb large frontal area trailer behind it. Some factors include how balanced the trailer is, hitch weight, and a properly adjusted equalizer hitch. Also take into consideration how far you will be towing and keep the speed down. My Ranger is unstable over about 60 mph with a 3500 lb trailer. Wheelbase also plays into this. Ranger is a regular cab shortbed. F350 is a crew cab long bed dually.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts