Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO ALL
I have a 97ntj with the 2.5 in it.. the other day my altinator died so i replaced it with a nearly new one out of another jeep... the one i pulled out was a 90 amp the one i put in is a 120 amp.....now the jeep idels really low to near the point of stalling and pulses when it gets there and some times it will idel at 1100 for a min and drop back down intop the same routine.... it didnt do this before so im wondering if the new altinator could be the culprit? or is it something else like the batteryis going badafter the incident? please help!!!!

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
Could definitely be the alternator... It will take more hp to make the extra amps with the new one, could be more at idle, depending on the power curve, and when it actually starts to make power. I would think that the 2.5 would be more suseptable to extra power draw than the I-6.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
My jeep pulses when it idles too, has for a while. I have trouble starting in the cold/since I ran my battery dead and installed my amp/sub before. It probably is the alt. but if it isnt hurting anything I wouldnt worry.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It could be your alt, you may be pulling more amps than or close to what it is rated for with the amp and subs. I would also have the battery checked, weak battery and high amp load could be your problem. I have heard of a weak battery causing all kinds of weird things.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
ITs your jeep, Its alive, feel its pulse! lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
for the help

Happy Holiday!!! Thank you for all your help, and thank god for CRF cleaning products..i cleaned the altinator and connections with heavy duty eletronics cleaner, double checked my work, cleaned the connections on the bat... cleaned everything on the throttle body to near new....soaked it in throttle body cleaner for a day and scubd every thing clean with a tooth brush...all the sensors got cleaned and its working like a top...it has stoped what it was doing ...for now.... thank you all for the help,much appeciate it!!!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts