Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed recently that my new-to-me '92 4-cylinder (which only has 98K on it :thumb:) really smells strongly like gas. I'm new to Jeeps and not really sure where to start in figuring this out. The first thing I can think of is a fuel leak, but the ground underneath never gets wet so I'm not sure that there is a leak anywhere.

Can someone help me understand where to start looking for answers?

·
Registered
858 Posts
any gas smell when the engine has been off and it's just sat around for a few hrs or is it only when running? Could be it's running very rich, leaky fuel line, evap issue, leaky fuel cap, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainly when it's running. Stinks up my garage when I pull in and shut her down. The smell lingers in there for awhile, but eventually dissipates.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Could be any of the above I listed. How's it run? Mileage worse lately? Any problems with filling it up with gas at the pump? Pop the hood and look closely at the fuel lines, fuel rail. Check your evap system for any damage/leaks as well. Might be you're running real rich and smelling unburnt fuel in the exhaust however. If you can, smell the exhaust while it's running and see if the gas smell is coming from there. Don't spend minutes doing it as carbon monoxide is bad for you, but 20 seconds should suffice to see if the smell is coming from the exhaust without putting you in danger.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Probably running rich....... make sure it is fully warmed up..... then smell..... most ICE run rich until warmed up......

Been doing it since you got it????? or is this recent????

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had the exact same condition. In my case we discovered the rubber tube connecting to the top of the gas tank was loose and eventually began to drip gasoline. Before the drip started I had the same smell of raw gasoline when I pulled into my garage. Check a spark plug to eliminate the question of it running too rich.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be any of the above I listed. How's it run? Mileage worse lately? Any problems with filling it up with gas at the pump?
It runs fine. I've noticed that there is a bit of lag in the low RPMs when leaving a stoplight, but other than that it runs like a top. As far as MPG, it's a 4-cylinder rolling on 33" tires.....MPG sucks all the time.

Probably running rich....... make sure it is fully warmed up..... then smell..... most ICE run rich until warmed up......

Been doing it since you got it????? or is this recent????
Recent....probably first noticed it within the last month-ish.

I had the exact same condition. In my case we discovered the rubber tube connecting to the top of the gas tank was loose and eventually began to drip gasoline. Before the drip started I had the same smell of raw gasoline when I pulled into my garage. Check a spark plug to eliminate the question of it running too rich.
I'll have to check that out!

·
Registered
858 Posts
How many miles on your O2 sensors? Might be one is bad and now you're running rich.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as I know, everything is still OEM from the factory. The previous owner didn't have much info about maintenance.

Apparently my YJ noticed that I posted this thread. I looked underneath it on lunch and I can see gas leaking out from the area of the fuel filter. Not sure if a line is cracked or damaged, a fitting is loose, or what. I'll have to get it out of the sun (otherwise I'll fry if I try to get underneath it in the Phoenix summer) and dig into it further.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Well, that solves that. Make sure you disconnect the negative battery terminal in a very well-ventilated space before you attempt any repairs on it.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Rollover valve on the older models right rear tub, remove the splash guard and look for the valve and lines. Newer models tank vent line or bad gas cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thankfully this ended up being a $0 fix. The hose clamp on the hose entering into the fuel filter needed to be tightened. All is well now, although I found that half of the fuel filter bracket is missing. Zip ties for now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts