Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TJ seems to have developed a slightly acrid odor and I can't tell if it is a wisp of coolant odor or perhaps that of oil/smoke.

It's almost like what I would get with my old first car (1970 Chevy) when the EGR value was funked up, but I just can't tell for sure.

Is this a common issue, or is there a typical cause?

Thoughts on a cure appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I find coolant to have a sweet smell, acrid would make me think oil, check to see if oil is dripping or seeping onto the exhaust or exhaut manifold somewhere, valve cover and rear main are common leak spots

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I'll start running it down from that angle.

As an aside to the issue, last year after a mold inhalation I spent six months getting my breathing squared away and back to normal. The upshot is that I was diagnosed as "adult onset asthmatic."

Getting older is not for sissies. When the doctor gave me that news I didn't know whether to be grateful, or humiliated.

Anyway, the respiratory issue has made me hyper-sensitive to odors so getting the vehicle sorted is a high priority. As soon as warm weather will let me comfortably work on it in the carport I'll get after it.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinking I found it

The odor is more pungent than sweet and I'm not losing coolant so I began focusing in on an oil related source.

Then I noticed the seepage around this valve at the front and the rear of the valve cover.

I'm thinking this is the source of the odor I'm noticing.

Questions -

1. What is that valve and what does it do?

2. It looks to be an easy fix. Should I just go ahead and replace both and be done with it?

Thanks as always in advance,
Rick

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
That's the positive crankcase ventilation hose and it's not a valve, it's just a vent. That amount of grime doesn't seem excessive, it seems pretty normal actually, but if it does gets excessive, that's usually a sign of bad piston rings.

I'd clean that surface grime off with brake cleaner and see if you notice any difference afterward.

I usually think of a leaky heater core when I think of odors noticeable inside the passenger compartment.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jerry, thanks. I'm reading up now on the heater core and kind of think that may be it. Is there a way to electronically "sniff" for the source?

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the positive crankcase ventilation hose and it's not a valve, it's just a vent. That amount of grime doesn't seem excessive, it seems pretty normal actually, but if it does gets excessive, that's usually a sign of bad piston rings.

I'd clean that surface grime off with brake cleaner and see if you notice any difference afterward.

I usually think of a leaky heater core when I think of odors noticeable inside the passenger compartment.
Jerry, thanks. I'm reading up now on the heater core and kind of think that may be it. Is there a way to electronically "sniff" for the source?
Yo Jerry - I'm just getting back to this. Any thoughts on how one might electronically sniff out the source of that odor to determine if the heater core is the issue?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts