Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm THINKING about pulling the trigger on a new Jeep Wrangler. Is right now a good time to buy or should I wait until closer to the holidays? The dealer told me Wranglers are very popular so they don't ever do any rebates and only offer financing deals on the 2012 models.

The problem is I am looking for something very specific, plus I want to order a custom Wrangler so I get only the options I want and not all the ones that come on the ones that are available at the lot.

What I am looking for is an "2013 WRANGLER UNLIMITED SPORT" base price is $25,695 and with the options I want, it comes up to $28,540. If the Jeep website says that price, how low do you think I can get and should I wait a little longer?

Side not, I have a nice car already. I just really WANT this car as well. lol, so I'm not in a huge rush.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
On a popular model like the Wrangler, ordering one exactly how you want it will leave you at a bit of a disadvantage. I had a chance to chat with the head of the Wrangler division when I was in Colorado last July. He told me that they had to turn away 20,000 orders because the factory had hit capacity. Dealers have no trouble selling every Wrangler they get so if you want to take up a spot with a specific order, they don't have a lot of motivation to drop the price because they'll sell it to someone else.

If you're willing to take what's on the lot you have more leverage. The absolute best time to buy is towards the end of September and go for the previous model year if they have one on the lot that you'll take. It's the end of the month at the end of a financial quarter with the new model year vehicles coming in. The dealer is highly motivated to get the previous model year vehicles off the lot and off the books. Trouble is, the selection isn't the best and you'll have to compromise.

Even though we've passed that point already this year all is not lost. If the dealer has any 2012s left on the lot at this point you're in a good position to buy. Trouble is, 2012 selection is going to be slim at best. Getting what you want is going to be tough unless you're flexible.

Another good time to buy, especially in northern states where it snows, is February. That's one of the slowest months for car dealers. They'll be desperate to make sales in the last week of the month and willing to make a deal.

Regardless of what time of year you buy, go in a few days before the end of the month. Have a loan pre-approval in hand. Start dealing with the sales creep and even get to talking about numbers. When they hit "bottom dollar price" get up and leave. Wait for a day or two for them to call back and try to get you back in the showroom before the end of the month. That's when you get their best price.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Best time to buy?
End of the month...
End of the quarter...
End of the year...

A dealer may be motivated to move a Jeep that has been sitting on the lot for a long time...but there usually is a reason WHY that Jeep has been sitting there.

Example....There was a 2012 Sahara near me that had EVERY option in the book except 3.73's, 7 spoke rims, smokers package, and an engine block heater. So yes, it had both overpriced chrome packages (but the stock Sahara wheels), dual painted tops, and the 730. It sat on the lot for atleast 7 months. No one was interested in a $42,000 chromed out, 2012 Sahara on 3.21's. I'm sure someone was able to get a good deal on it eventually.

Do your homework and order EXACTLY what you want.
You can get a very good deal with a customer order.

If you can't find what you want on the lot. Bite the bullet and order.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Jeeps are a high demand vehicle. If you are worried about getting a good deal, join Tread Lightly for 3 years. It works out great if you are interested in being educated in off-roading, conservation, etc. and you get at least 1% below dealer invoice. That still isn't what the dealer pays but cuts the haggle out as well.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I second the treadlightly, and order a catalog online and you'll get a $500 rebate. If your dealer wont take it then move on to the next. I ordered mine and got 3% below invoice and used the 500 coupon. If you work at it then you will get what you want. Use the spreadsheet in the 2013 sticky and start E-mailing your dealers. We are talking thousands of dollars off MSRP (which is what you are seeing on the jeep website).

If you have extra cash in your pocket then pay MSRP. Your salesman will love you!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What I am looking for is an "2013 WRANGLER UNLIMITED SPORT" base price is $25,695 and with the options I want, it comes up to $28,540.
A week ago I bought a 2013 with MSRP of $28735, paid $26,487 + tax+$250 doc/title. Didn't finance. You should (hopefully) get around $2200 off MSRP (if you get more, good for you).

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
I second the treadlightly, and order a catalog online and you'll get a $500 rebate. If your dealer wont take it then move on to the next. I ordered mine and got 3% below invoice and used the 500 coupon. If you work at it then you will get what you want. Use the spreadsheet in the 2013 sticky and start E-mailing your dealers. We are talking thousands of dollars off MSRP (which is what you are seeing on the jeep website).

If you have extra cash in your pocket then pay MSRP. Your salesman will love you!
Yup....
That is exactly what I did.

Ordered brochures to get $500 rebate.
Emailed dealers
Used Affiliate discount
Used my own spreasheet to track everything.

I never haggled with my dealer over the percent under invoice I wanted. His final number on the Sahara worked out to 3.79% below invoice (before $500 rebate). I was fine with that.

I did haggle over my trade-in....and I did haggle over not being taxed on the $500 rebate nor the Affiliate Discount which rebates the dealer 2% of invoice. I played HARD-BALL there. I walked in with my laptop and two very well organized folders that included every email conversation, every pricing adjustment, CarMax, NADA, KBB, and Edmunds appraisals from both this week AND from December 2011....along with print-offs of what my vehicle was going for on the lots from both time frames.

·
Registered
197 Posts
How do you order the brochure for the 2013 wrangler in order to get the $500 rebate?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I emailed all the dealers in my area and gave them the model and options I wanted and told them I wanted 2% below invoice or better and asked for a price. I used the information on post 1 of this thread to know exactly what it should cost. Out of the 5 I emailed, two didn't reply, two said to come in and talk about it and one gave me the price I wanted. Deposit made and ordered without ever stepping into a dealer lot. Being knowledgeable is the key. Good luck.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
How do you order the brochure for the 2013 wrangler in order to get the $500 rebate?
The 2013 screen isn't up yet. But go ahead and order a 2012 brochure on the Jeep.com webste. It takes about 5 weeks to get one....IF...they send you one.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
NEVER negotiate from MSRP, you'll lose almost every time. START at well under their invoice price, and negotiate from there.

Order a custom Jeep to your liking and don't pay anything more than 2% UNDER invoice -- which is pretty much the average "good deal" these days. (Some buyers have even claimed to get twice that, or more!)

Definitely sign up for Tread Lightly (if your employer is not already a Chrysler Affiliate... be sure to check!). Even if you get it for much less than the 1% that TL gives you, they'll want your TL membership (or Affiliate) info to put in their system for the credit (refund?) they get back after the sale.

Also, don't be afraid to drive a few miles to get the deal you want. Start by emailing all of the internet sales reps in your area and offering them 3% or 4% under invoice... negotiate from there.

Don't say a number, just say "3% under invoice." At one point in the process, ask them to show you the print-out with the invoice and employee pricing (being "allowed" to see that pricing info is one of the guaranteed benefits for being a TL member, or for working for a Chrysler Affiliate!)

I just picked up my custom ordered '13 JKUR for about 2.5% under invoice last week... After finding a good dealer, it was easy as hell! ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I forgot to add in, my sister works for Chase. She told me she could sign me up for something called X-Plan, it gives you a certain percent off the MSRP. I believe in the dealership the car they had available was $31,000 using the discount it saved roughly $1500.

Anyone have any experience with this X-Plan?

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
creativethien said:
I forgot to add in, my sister works for Chase. She told me she could sign me up for something called X-Plan, it gives you a certain percent off the MSRP. I believe in the dealership the car they had available was $31,000 using the discount it saved roughly $1500.

Again, working down from MSRP is usually a bad idea. That X-Plan discount equates to a little less than 5% off MSRP, which may or may not be a good deal depending on their invoice price for that specific vehicle. My GUESS is that you can do better. (My own ~2.5% under invoice deal was roughly 7.1% below MSRP!)

We'd need to know the invoice price to be sure... anything >2% under invoice is generally considered a "good deal."

Asking for a couple of "MOPAR extras" isn't a bad idea either... ;)

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts

Chase is indeed eligible for the Affiliate Rewards program.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f127/affiliate-rewards-elligible-companies-165015.html

I don't know about "X-Plan"...but I do know that the AR program gets you 1% below invoice from jump.

But I can't remember how it works for family members.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Mind you, most customers don't shop this way -- especially custom ordering vehicles! So don't worry, the dealerships and salesmen should still make their quotas and money off of other "normal" deals.

If you are friendly and show your appreciation for these good deals, they should treat you pretty well throughout the life of your relationship... hell, my salesman is even helping me install my lift In a few weeks after making very little off the deal itself! lol

Last, but not least, make sure you find a salesman who knows Wranglers! ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Last, but not least, make sure you find a salesman who knows Wranglers! ;)
This is the funny part, when I test drove one yesterday the guy told me right off the bat he just started back at jeep, so when I asked him to take the soft top down he couldn't figure it out.

Thanks for all the feedback on here. I just emailed 7 dealers close by and asked for exactly what I wanted. also did the 3 or 4% off invoice.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
creativethien said:
This is the funny part, when I test drove one yesterday the guy told me right off the bat he just started back at jeep, so when I asked him to take the soft top down he couldn't figure it out.

Thanks for all the feedback on here. I just emailed 7 dealers close by and asked for exactly what I wanted. also did the 3 or 4% off invoice.
Excellent! Good luck and enjoy the ride! Be sure to let us know how it works out!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

Great! Go and order that brochure now from jeep and stay strong. The dealers try to get ahold of your emotions, just stick to your guns and you will do well.
Dont forget about getting the dealer fees up front, I got my dealer to nix the dealer fee, actually he told me that with treadlightly he couldn't charge a dealer fee,,???,, whatever, saved me 700 bucks!

·
Registered
414 Posts
They may not offer rebates but Wranglers do occasionally sit on the lot long enough for the dealer to get deperate enough to move it at a good price. I picked up my 09 Rubicon Ulimited for $28K against a $34K sticker. Just got lucky on that one.

Also, not trying to make this political, but watch the election. If it looks like Obama is going to win, wait until mid to late November. If it looks like Romney is going to win, pick it up in the next couple of weeks if you can. Reason for this is (in my opinion) that if, Obama gets reelected, people are generally going to freak out and stop spending money for a little bit (with the reverse scenario if Romney is elected) and you might be able to get a better deal if the dealer is a little more desperate.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts