Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what you all thought about HIDs vs an upgraded headlight? Do I need a ballast for both? Or just the bulb? Help please

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Curious what you all thought about HIDs vs an upgraded headlight? Do I need a ballast for both? Or just the bulb? Help please
If you are in Florida I would consider LED's like truck lites or speaker 8700's , if you live anywhere you might encounter any kind of icing then the only hids I would use are Susquehanna motor sports and they would set you back $1500. DOT compliant though. I'm pretty happy with a $30 upgrade bulb Phillips extreme 80's. They don't last as long as stock but bang for buck I'm ok with it. There are other options "housings and harnesses", but limited bulb life comes with the territory. Good luck lots of opinions out there, do a search here, but pop some no doze first.......................:thumb:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are in Florida I would consider LED's like truck lites or speaker 8700's , if you live anywhere you might encounter any kind of icing then the only hids I would use are Susquehanna motor sports and they would set you back $1500. DOT compliant though. I'm pretty happy with a $30 upgrade bulb Phillips extreme 80's. They don't last as long as stock but bang for buck I'm ok with it. There are other options "housings and harnesses", but limited bulb life comes with the territory. Good luck lots of opinions out there, do a search here, but pop some no doze first.......................:thumb:
Thanks for the info. I was researching some sylvanias at autozone but no one there knows how to install or if I need a ballast, any info on this?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was researching some sylvanias at autozone but no one there knows how to install or if I need a ballast, any info on this?
installing a ballast is a piece of cake, look up youtube videos. they have setp by step instructions.

However, I HIGHLY recommend against this without one of two things:

1. Projector headlights
2. Retrofit

Otherwise, your light beam is scattered and causing oncoming traffic a lot of misery. There is also a sticky regarding lighting options for JK. Look at the top of this forum :thumb:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Curious if you guys know of any sites to order from? LED or HID retailers

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am afraid to read that link. Switching to hid's was my first upgrade and I have loved them, would hate to find out it was a mistake :) Very bright and white clean light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I actually had he guys at fortec install them for me. Can order from them and do it yourself too. I also had them put some led off road lights on at same time. Only problem after that was the fog lights looked really bad so had to change those bulbs out to white led. Never quite done...

But headlights are extremely important so I would keep them on top of list.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
I have the HID Projector headlights and they are by far the best and most useful mod that I have done. Worth every cent and can be customized 200 million different ways.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Do I just need the light and is it universal? Does it use stock housing?
Just FYI...

Those headlights are about $750 from Quadratec. :eek:

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
google JW Speaker LED lights and don't look back :punk:
Meh, they are twice the price, require cutting to fit, and still don't put out nearly the quality of light as HIDs in projector housings. There is a reason why manufacturers that have OEM LED headlights use at least 4 projectors to get a quality spread. One LED in one projector isn't going to do it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Meh, they are twice the price, require cutting to fit, and still don't put out nearly the quality of light as HIDs in projector housings. There is a reason why manufacturers that have OEM LED headlights use at least 4 projectors to get a quality spread. One LED in one projector isn't going to do it.

Do you have any night shots? I'd rather spend 450 than 800 on JW and it seems like the JW's still have the flicker problem. Any flicker problem with yours?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts