Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
check engine light came on. so i went over to the local auto part store for them to scan it. he told me that it was the emissions purge pump. any ideas as too what this is?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Emmisions control valve. It wont pass smog without it, but will drive fine. Emmissions control stuff has a 5 year dealer warranty. What year is your Jeep?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh well, it's a 99...
i'll have to take care of this soon cause that check
engine light is driving me crazy. it's all i can see by
the corner of my eye...:mad:

is it a simple fix?

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
oh well, it's a 99...
i'll have to take care of this soon cause that check
engine light is driving me crazy. it's all i can see by
the corner of my eye...:mad:

is it a simple fix?
Yeah, if you just put a piece of electrical tape over the light, you won't even notice it...:D

Sorry, don't know about the emissions issue, just couldn't help myself!:D

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Yeah, if you just put a piece of electrical tape over the light, you won't even notice it..
I love this forum. So full of good information!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
You might actually want to get this fixed. If your purge pump is not working then most likely your evap canister is not being purged. Which means it will eventually become saturated and you will have to replace it as well.

What happens in the evap system is basically that your fuel system is sealed so that none of those nasty hydrocarbons get vented to the atmosphere to cause global warming :eek: (IMO BS). So rather then going into the air they go into your charcoal canister and are stored. Then when you are on the highway at speed your purge valve and pump work to route fresh air through the canister picking up the nasty hydrocarbons and send them through the intake to be burned along with the air fuel mix coming in from the throttle body.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
that sounds like good advice to me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
over the weekend i installed a flowmaster super 40 and replaced the stock airfilter in exchange for a K&N intake system. now the check engine light has turned off...? why? i'm sure that the purge pump problem didn't correct itself....:confused:

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I had a bad purge valve on a Dodge Durango and it was an intermitent problem with the check enigine light going on and off every few days. The light will probably come back on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts