Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the usual 4x4 website I shop at, and I came across superchargers. I can understand how a supercharger would be cool for a sporty car, for example, but what's its purpose in Jeeps? Does it give you an advantage offroad? On road? Both? Just curious, and want to see it be discussed.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
As Mike-D stated, it assists in over coming and restoring what larger tires and gear ratios rob in the way of horsepower. For us 3.8 guys that have have the gutless wonder of a mini-van motor it really makes a difference. For us living out here in the mountainous region it really helps the 3.8 up these grades, especially if they have the tires, armor and gearing. If one behave's with the SC you may even enjoy a "boost" in gas mileage.

·
Registered
938 Posts
There is no known situation in the Galaxy where having less HP is a good thing...
You may not need to use it, but better to have it available when need...

I guess if you are a teenager being watched by the cops, too much HP could get you in trouble, but that is a limited case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
blower style

Not sure what style blower your looking at. Roots vs turbo. Roots brings on the power linear and turbo needs to spool up, then look out the rpms come on quick. As a been to keeping not sure which one would most benefit the offroad use. Ether one works great on by way.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Blowers offer more torque. That's their charm.

Yes, more horsepower, but when you are going up grades and trying to make it over a big rock or step in the trail that helps.

My 3.6 has all the power I could ever want, particularly as I geared it (6 sp, 4.10 axles) so I'll never be looking for one.

Before I ever threw a supercharger on an engine I'd spend some serious time discussing what all the desired outcome is, how it's being achieved and what else I need to do so I don't come to grief down the road. Too much power breaks things. Power applied in the wrong instances can result in a visit from the tow faerie.

I've become old and pragmatic, but mostly old. I also have a college buddy who's an automotive engineer and does amazing stuff with cars, but he never does anything half way or quick and dirty to save a few bucks. Get it done right the first time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I live in the Rockies near Denver. During my daily commute i change elevation by 3000'. With a 3.8 in my 2011 JKR and 35's the Ripp SC was almost a necessity. I have no complaints.

Buster

·
Registered
80 Posts
I ran a SC for 8 years on my '03 R.

Offroad: Generally speaking. NO. Mostly because you rarely so much beyond 2000 rpm's and the ole TJ I6 was at 165 lbs of torque just off idle. Some of the long hills in Moab would take you into 2000+ rpm but not often.

Highway: Now your talking, the I6 and the V6 are anemic at best. The I6 just runs out of gas in OEM form beyond 3200 and the V6 with its 6400 HP peak just never gets you gets you there.

Both the TJ/JK are in dire need of more go when the going gets speedy. You won't pass a truck without.

Cost: Worth it on my TJ, not sure I can justify it on my JKUR.

Cheaper way to get the highway relief? Since the V6 lives out to 6400rpm it kinda screams for more gearing beyond 4:10, in fact 4:56 or even 4:88 will give you more applied power on the highway and be your best friend on the trails.

Tall tires on a JK makes you snail bait...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts