Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys & gals -

My vehicle is a 2015 JKU Sahara, auto, 3.21 axles. In a couple of months I'll need to tow a heavy smoker in a trailer. The lightest open trailer from U-Haul with a ramp weighs something like 1240 lbs, leaving me with a load capacity of 760 lbs. The smoker I'm towing will weigh almost 900 lbs.

The Jeep's max tow rating is 2000 lbs so I'd be ~140 lbs over the tow rating. So this maybe falls into the stupid question category, but would this really be a problem?

Thanks!
--Tom

·
Super Moderator
21,943 Posts
I would not worry about it. the 3.73's have a 3500 tow capacity so unless you are in hilly country you should fine. It kills me that the 3.21's have a 2000lb tow rating about the same as a freaking Subaru.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No joke, it's ridiculous.

I'll be on I-45 between DFW and Conroe, TX, so it's pretty flat the whole way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only problem with the two door was I wish its towing capacity was a little higher at least 2500lbs. I want to tow two Harley to florida for bike week and I would be 2500lbs. :'(

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
140 lbs. over, you're fine. Just stay to the right and don't do like some that I've seen in my area do with trailers, 70 mph plus in the left lane. Never saw a JK owner drive like that.

·
Registered
615 Posts
For occasional use especially on level terrain I wouldn't worry about 140 lbs. In mountains, trying to get away with 400-500 extra lbs on a daily basis would concern me.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i rented a uhaul trailer thanksgiving for my 95 soft top i even drove the jeep there they never say anything about it

·
Registered
692 Posts
i rented a uhaul trailer thanksgiving for my 95 soft top i even drove the jeep there they never say anything about it
When I left the Navy in 1998 I wanted to rent something from Uhaul to move my stuff. They refused. No trailers, no hitch basket. They would sell me something. No rental at all to my 1993 YJ softop. At the time I asked about renting if I had a hardtop. It would make no difference. They even showed me their book that clearly stated no rental to my vehicle. My YJ was completely stock at the time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Towing capacity is more complicated than it seems. GCVWR - Gross weight of Jeep = towing capacity. So if your Jeep is 500lbs over factory calculated weight, such as passengers and gear, you have to subtract that from towing capacity. So in this example, your 2000lb trailer weight would be reduced to 1500lbs. Now you are really overloaded.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You will be just fine. Slow, but it's not going to break. Only difference is gears. Brakes and suspension are the same.

·
Registered
685 Posts
i guess it depends on who is running the business like i said i drove the jeep there to measure it they help me measure it it may be like installing a lift kit it could void it warranty depends on where you take it

·
Registered
341 Posts
I often haul more than I am supposed to on level ground . I Go slow and keep extra space in front of me.

BUT- I had to put in a $500 repair to my Dodge 2500 HD 4x4. Loaded a piece of machinery on the trailer that was several thousand over what I should have been hauling . I had someone stop me to talk on a steep grade stupidly I stopped. Should have kept crawling up that hill. Restarting on that grade with that load damaged the universal joint.

Overload and you break stuff quicker, you push your safety margins for stopping and increase your risk of accidents.

Best to not do it at all. But if you do go slow with lots of room in front of you to stop. Start off in low gear and slowly increase speed. Avoid steep hills, highways and heavy traffic.

·
Registered
499 Posts
On the Wrangler, it's not the pulling that presents the problem, it's the stopping. the short wheel base makes for quite the adventure on heavy loads. also, at highway speeds, trailer sway can be a HUGE problem on a short wheel base Jeep. I have a camper that I move around the property with my Jeep all the time without a strain but, it would be scary at highway speeds.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts