Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
dirt road inspector
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the Old School wheels (rims ;)) from my 2012 Wrangler on my 2016 Wrangler. They are still in good condition after 97k miles and I didn't want to fork out for new ones. The Goodyear Silent Armor tires are good for another 25k miles and GY doesn't make them anymore.

The new wheels & tires from the 2016 went on my wife's 2007 Wrangler. So far so good.

But, I didn't think about the 4 individual TPMS monitoring on a 2016. Now my TPMS light stays on all the time. Discount Tire aired them up to spec and the light is still on. They don't know about the 4 vs. 1 monitoring on a 2016 and could not suggest a fix.

Anybody have a suggestion? Will I have to break down the tires and replace the senders?

Here are the tire & wheels on the 2012.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Looks good. I bought new 2006 4Runner wheels and put them on my brand new 2014 4Runner when I had it. Some older style wheels simply look better than the new ones.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
For the TPMS sensors in the wheels, 2008 thru 2012 used one frequency. 2013 up thru at least 2016 used a different frequency.

You have to have all the TPMS sensor frequencies match the frequency used on the target vehicle.

Just to add, once you get that correct, it could take up to 7 miles (for me, it takes around 3 or 4 miles) of driving to get the sensors to self-register with the vehicle.

·
Registered
619 Posts
2013 and later allows for monitoring of each tire independently via the evic. So each operates on a different frequency. 2012 and prior only has the dummy light. It doesn't tell you which tire is low.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
If the tire pressure is up to spec why would the light come on even with 2012 sensors?
If you have 2012 sensors on a 2016 JK the frequency is different and they won't synch. Whether your 2016 has the connectivity group or not the 12 sensors won't work. If a JK has the connectivity group you have the individual tire pressure read out. If there's no connectivity group on a 13 plus JK there's only a TPMS light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Literally just got the same problem as you but on opposite vehicles. I put new Silent Armors from a newer Jeep onto my 2012 JKU Arctic and got the lights on. Don't really want to buy the Procal. Debating whether or not it's worth it to get old sensors and swap them :S

·
Registered
959 Posts

·
dirt road inspector
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Super Moderator
21,983 Posts
2012 and early tpms do not talk to 13 on up that is why the lights are on. It does not recognize them. look at it like a cb on channel 3 and one on 15 both work but not with each other.

The screw size is the same on each so yes you can leave the valve stem in place and just replace the sensor but for $55 via ebay get new stems and sensors for all 5 wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where did you find new Silent Armor tires? I was told a year ago they where discontinued.
I've been driving Jeeps for 37 years. The Silent Armor tires are the best all around tires I've ever had. Sorry they are going away.
I got them off a guy who took them off his newer Wrangler straight from the Factory. I've actually seen quite a few newer Wranglers come with the Silent Armors so they must still be in production!

·
dirt road inspector
2,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2012 and early tpms do not talk to 13 on up that is why the lights are on. It does not recognize them. look at it like a cb on channel 3 and one on 15 both work but not with each other.

The screw size is the same on each so yes you can leave the valve stem in place and just replace the sensor but for $55 via ebay get new stems and sensors for all 5 wheels.
Thanks.

Not sure how to look for those. Are they listed as 2013-2016 Chrysler sensors?

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts