Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been told and seen that you only need a D44 in the rear and you can leave the D30 in the front..... Why? Is it true?

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Very. Wont go into any detail cause I dont want to type forever on my phone. The d30 front is strong enough for most offroading. Where as the Jeep D35 doesn't like abuse and tends to break after so much stress. The D44 is just a overall much stronger axle and can take what the majority of us will throw at it..

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the speedy responses.... now I have to look around for somethong that might work with minimal re-fitting... Budget build

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
A common swap is to get a 44 from an XJ at a pin n pull salvage yard. It is the proper length and wheel bolt pattern. Just need to cut off the spring perches and weld new ones on the bottom, and reroute the parking brake line a bit to work properly.

Jeff

·
Registered
422 Posts
A common swap is to get a 44 from an XJ at a pin n pull salvage yard. It is the proper length and wheel bolt pattern. Just need to cut off the spring perches and weld new ones on the bottom, and reroute the parking brake line a bit to work properly.

Jeff
That's the same thing I did, now 44 rear 30 front ARB's and re-geared to 4:88's. I had to re-gear w/ a 4 cyl and 33's there is not much power. I have been using this set up for the past couple of years w/p any problems at all. :D

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Maybe. What size tires do you plan to run? Also another axle to consider is a ford 8.8, can find them under $200 in most yards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts