Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a few upgrades on my 2012 JKU. First, I replaced the factory fog lights with Putco Luminix LED Fog Lights. There are different versions of these for the plastic bumper w/H16 (what I have), with metal bumper and the older H10 fogs.

These are rated at 2400 lumens so they are way brighter than the factory fogs. I like the look way better too. I enabled them as my daytime running lights (required here in Canada) on my fog lights with my AEV Procal tool. They look great during the day and are very visible as a DRL and at night really throw out a lot of light. These are street legal too!

I also made a few interior and exterior lighting upgrades with some Philips LED bulbs. I changed out the front side marker lights and rear license plate light with the Philips 194 Vision LED bulbs. The license plate made a big difference. It is not only much brighter but a nice white light rather than the dingy dim yellow halogen bulb. These bulbs fit into the side marker lights but were a tight fit. A bulb any bigger than these simply wouldn't fit in there. I didn't notice as much difference changing these out but being LED will never have to change them again. (My passenger side was out)

Here is the license plate before:

And after:

Inside, I upgraded the interior to LED bulbs. One of my map lights was burned out so I had a good reason to change them. The fronts I used the same Philips 194 bulbs as I used on the exterior. You need 2 for the front map lights. The rear bulb is a single 1.75" festoon bulb. I used the 212-2 Philips Vision Festoon LED bulb for that one. This bulb does not have built in Canbus. If you have a 2013 or newer model with the factory LED's in the rearview mirror you would need to use the Philips 5W CANBus LED Control Unit to prevent them from flickering.

Here is a picture of the fronts upgrade, the rear was still the stock halogen bulb:

Check out the difference here in the map light:

The finished product:

Really amazed how much brighter the LED's are inside.... especially since my interior is all black so it was pretty dark to begin with already.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Those are some sweet fogs! I have never seen those before. Nice upgrades thanks for sharing

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of the beam pattern and cutoff for those fog lights. Any chance you could take a picture of them pointed at a wall at 25' (or so)? I'm curious to see if the "fog" beam is an actual fog beam.
x2

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm confused about the interior bulbs. Someone please educate me. I don't have map lights because I have a plain Willys with no power options. The rearview mirror does not have map lights.

As far as the rear dome, the one between the first and second row has 2 bulbs I believe. Are these the ones that require Canbus? What size bulbs?

Then I believe there is one more dome light behind the second row of seats that is triggered by the rear gate. Is that the 1.75 Festoon? Is that the only one that requires Canbus??

Thanks!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a picture of the fogs only on - no headlights. I left it out of the original post:

Out on the road - again this is fogs only - no headlights:

ddcha: If you don't have the LED's in the rearview mirror then you would be fine with the regular bulbs. The 2 fronts are 194 bulbs and the rear on the Unlimiteds is the 1.75" festoon.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Here is a picture of the fogs only on - no headlights. I left it out of the original post: Out on the road - again this is fogs only - no headlights: ddcha: If you don't have the LED's in the rearview mirror then you would be fine with the regular bulbs. The 2 fronts are 194 bulbs and the rear on the Unlimiteds is the 1.75" festoon.
Excellent. Ordered thanks. Looks great!

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm confused about the interior bulbs. Someone please educate me. I don't have map lights because I have a plain Willys with no power options. The rearview mirror does not have map lights.

As far as the rear dome, the one between the first and second row has 2 bulbs I believe. Are these the ones that require Canbus? What size bulbs?

Then I believe there is one more dome light behind the second row of seats that is triggered by the rear gate. Is that the 1.75 Festoon? Is that the only one that requires Canbus??

Thanks!
I just did exactly that in my 2015 Willys. I don't have map lights so I don't need the Canbus festoon. You only need the Canbus festoon if you have map lights in your rear view mirror. The 2 dome lights don't need to be Canbus compatible either. I ordered mine from Superbrightleds.com. I ordered 2 of these
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/922/
and 1

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...nt-bulbs/578-led-bulb-9-led-festoon/237/1121/
Note that mine are red. They look awesome at night. I'd take a picture for you but it's light outside right now.

Everything functions exactly the same except, the lights do not draw enough current to come on by pushing the lens cover while the Jeep isn't running. They do come on that way if the Jeep is running. They will come on with the Jeep turned off when you open the door, or turn the dimmer switch to the on position. They come on when I disarm my alarm, and every other time they should except pressing the dome with the vehicle off. No big deal to turn the dimmer.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I just put these in my dome light. The interior lights up bright as damn daylight. They're the brightest 360 degree 194 bulbs available that will fit in the space.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...-bulb--10-smd-led-wedge-base-tower/1677/4010/

I've used these in the dome light before as well. I had them in my Escape's dome light for two years as well. They cost 1/2 of the above and are still very very bright. This is also what I have in my license plate light.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/

I have these, in amber, in my front side marker lights. Huge improvement of the pathetic little incandescent light.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/

·
Registered
926 Posts
I just did exactly that in my 2015 Willys. I don't have map lights so I don't need the Canbus festoon. You only need the Canbus festoon if you have map lights in your rear view mirror. The 2 dome lights don't need to be Canbus compatible either. I ordered mine from Superbrightleds.com. I ordered 2 of these
https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/922/
and 1

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...nt-bulbs/578-led-bulb-9-led-festoon/237/1121/
Note that mine are red. They look awesome at night. I'd take a picture for you but it's light outside right now.

Everything functions exactly the same except, the lights do not draw enough current to come on by pushing the lens cover while the Jeep isn't running. They do come on that way if the Jeep is running. They will come on with the Jeep turned off when you open the door, or turn the dimmer switch to the on position. They come on when I disarm my alarm, and every other time they should except pressing the dome with the vehicle off. No big deal to turn the dimmer.
Excellent info. Thank you. I was debating going red as well, but a little too Amsterdam for me - I'm a family man.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I like the red because it doesn't mess with your night vision. I don't really use the lights during the day, and the colored lights look great. There's several colors to choose from, and for a couple bucks a bulb I may check out some others. I wanted to make sure these worked first.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Going with red instead of white is a very mission oriented decision. If you often need to light up the interior at night while driving or wheeling, you can't use white or it will wreck your night vision. However for most purposes, it is only used when getting in/out of the vehicle while parked. In such cases, white would be best as it provides the most functional illumination.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just wanted to say I ordered these from XenonDepot . Got them quickly and they had reasonable prices on everything. The interior bulbs are the best inexpensive upgrade I have done on my Jeep yet!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just upgraded the headlights on my Jeep with a XenonDepot H13 LED Headlight Kit. I will post pictures soon but there is a huge difference in light output over the factory bulbs. These do NOT have a bulky heatsink or fan on the back. They use a copper mesh heatsink that is flexible so you won't run into any fitment issues or have to worry about the fan failing. I previously had a set with a fan in them but these are considerably brighter.

The new kit fits securely in the headlight. I was able to install the bulbs two different ways but you will get the best beam pattern with the LED's at 3 and 9. They have a much more functional high beam than the previous set I had installed where I really could not see any difference. These are a great option if you want more light output and don't want to do an HID kit or want a less expensive alternative to a headlight replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Putco fogs on AEV bumper

Hey there, do any of you guys and gals know whether its possible to mount the Putco fog lights on the AEV Premium Gen 2 front bumper?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts