Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going from 16 in front to 19 and 55 to 58 in rear. OK do I need anything else like brake line re locators, bump stops shocks etc please help. I've done many lifts on TJ's, but on my 12 JK I have no clue! So wanna make sure I I have everything squared away before I turn the wrench! Any one in my area wanna come watch first ones on me Lol Thanks ZAC-O

·
Registered
673 Posts
Going from 16 in front to 19 and 55 to 58 in rear. OK do I need anything else like brake line re locators, bump stops shocks etc please help. I've done many lifts on TJ's, but on my 12 JK I have no clue! So wanna make sure I I have everything squared away before I turn the wrench! Any one in my area wanna come watch first ones on me Lol Thanks ZAC-O
Nope, you'll be fine. I did the same - 13/56 to 17/59 - and replaced nothing but the coils. Everything works perfectly. Only thing is you may need an alignment after the swap.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
This is a very loaded question. What are your goals? What size tires? I have 18/59's with 3/4" spacers, coming from 13/55's. Do you plan on wheeling or is this a street rig only? I personally have rancho 7000 mts, jks adjustable front track bar, teraflex axle side rear track bar bracket, rear brake line extensions, jks quick discos up front, rock krawler rear sway bar links, 2" bump stop extensions and 35's. But all of that is really not TOTALLY necessary. Just shoot me a pm or comment on here if you got any other questions, ill help you out best i can!

·
Registered
894 Posts
You do not need anything else if just adding the stiffer springs to all fours. Follow a well written instruction set that details the steps and torque settings and you will be fine. No need for brake extenders or anything else.

2 things to keep in mind. Disconnect the brak line mounting points when dropping either axle, especially the fronts. You need the extra room to allow the axle to drop enough to swap the front coils. Super easy overall.

Second thing is you will need to re-center your steering wheel. It will be off slighly. Pull up some instructions on how to adjust it. Again super simple to do.

I went from 13 to 19 and 54 to 59 and it was very easy. Took me about 6 hours alone taking my time and ensuring I was following the directions and torque settings.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I think I used the Old Man Emu shock/coil instructions. Do a search on here. You will find a few for each (install and wheel re-center). It also lists the tools you will need. I know you need a special crescent wrench for the front shock and I think a 22mm socket. Its been a while but make sure you have all tools before starting. Or minimally another vehicle to run to the parts/tools store.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I did a write up with pics and there's a link to torque specs if your interested
Pmryall's the long haul build.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Might not hurt to get longer shocks, some built with a lift in mind. I used a Terraflex 2" leveling kit and put 18/59 springs under my Willys, and the Rubicon shocks were too short at that point...kind of rode funny. Got some Rancho 5000's with 4" extra length, now it rides much better than stock.

·
Registered
317 Posts
OP based on your 19/58 and assuming you are a 2DR you will get a nice lil 1.5-1.75 lift. measure wheel hub center to fender edge before and after. I put on the longest 10A 4DR+tow springs on my Willys and came away 2.75 front 1.5 rear. Your steering will need re-centering, and rear sway will be level to -3d pitch = perfect. Your front sway will be negative pitched by around -5d also, not optimal but not noticed while driving. Stock shocks will be fine, brake lines will be fine. I would just recommend adj front endlinks or discos to level the front sway.

@Foolproof - If that hydro avatar is ur Willys I remember seeing that pic and thinking how good that spring swap came out. Pushed me to do the 10A springs and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was going to take it in for a alignment as soon as I get it done. Wonder if they know all this

·
Registered
317 Posts
Not much to JK alignments not much is adjustable - but steering recenter for sure. Shouldn't cost you more than a hundred tops.

Also if your lift is under 2" your sways will be fine and within tolerance. Of course you wont know that until after the swap.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Get the next longer rear swaybar links for the rear.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I don't really think you need anything but the springs. My change was bigger than your planned swap and I didn't need anything else.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm just gonna play it by ear. I have done plenty of TJ YJ and CJ I've had a few jeeps from four bangers to straight up built rigs. I'm just being paranoid being this is my new jeep that's my DD and payed a lot more than the rest for it........... Kinda worries me. Wish someone local that was a GURU on this could come watch over me

1 - 17 of 17 Posts