Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get the bolts back on the door hinges. It appears all of the screws somehow stripped inside of the bolt. Since it was all four of the bolts, I dont have a reference bolt to see if thats the case.

Is the car safe to drive without them? The doors don't seem to be going anywhere but I haven't tried driving at high speeds.

Any clue how to fix/replace the bolts or the screws?

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
727 Posts
Most people just leave them off. I know I haven't had mine on in a year, and it's fine on and off road, including highway speeds.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Mine have been off for months, too. Mind you...if you leave them off and are topless, someone can steal your doors quietly and easily. They are expensive and it seems crooks are catching onto this. So don't park your jeep topless in a questionable area if you don't want to risk coming back to it doorless.

To answer the OPs question: you can get replacement screws from the dealership.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I have not put mine back in.

Maybe tonight I will lock the doors/set the alarm, unplug a door, then unlock it form the inside to see what happens... I wonder if the alarm will go off?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Mine have been off for months, too. Mind you...if you leave them off and are topless, someone can steal your doors quietly and easily. They are expensive and it seems crooks are catching onto this. So don't park your jeep topless in a questionable area if you don't want to risk coming back to it doorless.

To answer the OPs question: you can get replacement screws from the dealership.
Hmm.. good point. I'll put mine back on today.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Those bolts are definitely sheered off. The only way to fix it if you want to put new torx nuts on or a set of Tuffy hinge locks, you will need to replace the door side of each and every hinge that this has happened to.

I sheered off the bolt on one of mine when I was first installing the hinge locks a couple months ago.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
Dang...what did ya'll do to sheer the bolts? (So that I don't do it)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have not put mine back in.

Maybe tonight I will lock the doors/set the alarm, unplug a door, then unlock it form the inside to see what happens... I wonder if the alarm will go off?
I do know that if you hit the lock button, then plug the doors back in, the alarm will go off. I would imagine it would be the same way with unplugging them.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
when the bolt is upside down, it's "Lefty-tighty, Righty-loosey", because you're looking at the wrench from the "back"...

My guess is you cranked them all counter clockwise (as seen from above) until they came off.

I'd just skip the screws. There's no safety issue if the doors are closed, and if you're opening them at speed, you have more important safety issues going on anyway. Like HOOCBB said, you'd have to replace all of the hinges in order to be able to use the screws again...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Not sure about the torque specs for those. I just tightened until I got resistance and then went just a hair beyond that. Gravity keeps those doors in place. The screws just keep any tool-less would-be thief from stealing them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Those bolts are definitely sheered off.
That's what I was going to say... looks like they seized up over the winter.

@Shumoo ... how long have you had your rig, what year is it, have you ever taken them off before?

Good idea to hit them with white lithium grease, especially when going on for the last time in the fall, if you live in an area where they use a lot of road salt like Michigan... and they don't have to be any tighter than to keep the bolts on, they tighten onto the bolt in the door side hinge half. They don't keep the doors on, like has been said, it's safe to run without them...but.

I was warned that they strip easily before I ever took my doors off for the first time, so I soaked them a day ahead of time with 3in1 oil... and now, loosen/tighten them once a month even in the winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's what I was going to say... looks like they seized up over the winter.

@Shumoo ... how long have you had your rig, what year is it, have you ever taken them off before?

Good idea to hit them with white lithium grease, especially when going on for the last time in the fall, if you live in an area where they use a lot of road salt like Michigan... and they don't have to be any tighter than to keep the bolts on, they tighten onto the bolt in the door side hinge half. They don't keep the doors on, like has been said, it's safe to run without them...but.

I was warned that they strip easily before I ever took my doors off for the first time, so I soaked them a day ahead of time with 3in1 oil... and now, loosen/tighten them once a month even in the winter.
It's a 2010 Sahara. Had it for 3 years. It's the first time I decided to take my doors off. I'd love to say that it wasn't me twisting the wrong way, but to be honest, that was probably it. I live on Long Island so we do get quite a bit of snow but I'm guessing I just tightened them until they broke. Oh well

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Is there a certain torque for these so I don't do this? I wrenched mine down pretty good the other day. :facepalm:
Mine did the same thing the first time I put the doors back on. I just leave them off now as I'd have to replace the entire hinge. The pin is broken off in the head of the screw/bolt. Mine came off when loosening the bolt, nothing I could do.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Dang...what did ya'll do to sheer the bolts? (So that I don't do it)
I was installing the Tuffy hinge locks and decided to keep tightening after I hit resistance, since there was still about a 1/4" gap between the hinge and the threaded part of the lock. It only took a little bit beyond snug for it to snap. It almost looks like the hinges are made of aluminum, which would make it easier to break like that. I've never had a steel bolt just twist off like that hinge did.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts