Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weight is the enemy of efficiency, how much the jeep will weight roughly:-

2 doors

Soft-top

Remove doors

Remove spare tire

Remove rear seats

:doh:

·
Registered
34,429 Posts
Remove spare tire, get flat = screwed!

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
You might lose some weight but the overdeveloped sense of awesome is going to outweight those doors and top once you remove them. Just being in your Jeep is gonna give you a big head for how awesome your life is. ;)

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
i think doing a spare tire delete, removing the back seat, and running the soft top would easily save over 100 lbs. Would probably net you at least a 1mpg gain. I'd say do it if you have no need for the rear seat. I think running a jeep without a spare looks silly, but thats a personal preference.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
i think doing a spare tire delete, removing the back seat, and running the soft top would easily save over 100 lbs. Would probably net you at least a 1mpg gain. I'd say do it if you have no need for the rear seat. I think running a jeep without a spare looks silly, but thats a personal preference.

It really looks silly when you are out on a trail, or olong side of hiway with a flat tire!!:thumb:
Don
Experience= that is what you get, right after you need it the most!

·
Registered
160 Posts
No spare tire or back seat in mine.
I ratchet strap the tire in the back area when offroading.
If I really need the spare I can have my GF or brother
pick it up at home and deliver it I guess.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It really looks silly when you are out on a trail, or olong side of hiway with a flat tire!!:thumb:
Don
Experience= that is what you get, right after you need it the most!
I mean, I get that people do the delete because they can only afford 4 tires/wheels instead of 5, or if they carry air or tire repair kits with them, or if they have beadlocks. I just think from a looks standpoint. SUV's just look nicer with a mounted spare, otherwise they look like a minivan. But that's just me. And if I was trying to build a beach cruiser, I would certainly do a delete kit, shoot i'd probably remove some of the stock armor too. I mean if you're not going to use it, build the rig into what makes you happy!

*edit* in my mind, for a nicely built dune cruiser, I would remove the stock skids, remove the rear bumper and add some evo- drings, swap to an aluminum front bumper like the rugged ridge, do a tire/carrier delete, remove the rear seats, swap to some 33x12.5s on mb52s or whatever those super light aluminum wheels are, with a winch and some OBA or portable air, and add some rigid duallies or something similar, 2 on the windshield, 2 in back where the spare used to be. might not even tinker with the suspension, but if I did would firm it up with some OMEs (but no lift). oh, and of course a hitch with a rear carrier. because even without the rear seat, theres still only so many kegs you can fit in the back of a jeep :punk::punk::punk:

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Sprung and unsprung weight are killer to performance on and off the road. Stick with alloy wheels and aluminum armor and skip the ungodly huge, uselessly heavy bumpers. JK's are heavy enough off the lot so be careful as you add protection. It all adds up.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Weight is the enemy of efficiency, how much the jeep will weight roughly:-

2 doors

Soft-top

Remove doors

Remove spare tire

Remove rear seats

:doh:
I did this exercise because I agree with you. Here are my thoughts, not perfect, but hopefully close.

Doors aprox 45 lbs apiece, i wouldn't daily drive without them though.

hardtop vs soft top 55 lbs more for the hard top, i use both depending on season

Ditch the spare and carrier, jack lose about 80lbs, Like the look of a spare though and flats do happen. (i was thinking an inner tube and cover to have the look without the weight)

Stock muffler vs aftermarket lose 10-15 lbs.

Light weight battery mounted in rear lose net 20lbs, take 40 off the front.

Rear seat toss lose 35lbs, can't do for me i use mine regularly.

hitch 5 lbs, i can't need for my bike/accessory rack, towing

light weight seats, again not for me i paid extra for the side air bags for a reason.

Again, stock bumpers seem the lightest for the most part and your wheel tire choice is huge when it comes to unsprung weight. I wanted what i wanted and put 6.5 lbs more per wheel tire combo on my rig. Maybe do something with the rails and skid plates, but I don't want to lose functionality just to save a few pounds. Any other ideas I would love to hear.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Trying to shave weight offa "brick" is a total waste of time effort-

My JKUR (mod) weighs over 5200lbs--NORMALY and I can avg over 17 mpg, on freeway travel--

Thats with driver mileage control--it'll vary depending on your geographic location, but

Don't make ridiculous changes to try to save gas--just drive "BETTER"

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hmmm...
35" tires - 200 lbs
17" black wheels - 150 lbs
Lift - 50 lbs
Winch - 80 lbs
1/4" steel recovery bumper - 160 lbs

Jeep that can run over convertibles - PRICELESS:punk:
Ok, maybe I can't run over convertibles, but I like thinking I can.

Seriously, bought a jeep for it's abilities, not the gas mileage. Otherwise I'd drive a Prius.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Performance/mileage/response=proper gearing-

I'm not that concerned about gas mileage it's about performance for me. Maybe i misunderstood the original poster, but better gas mileage will be a byproduct of less weight. Minimal compared to driving habits I agree.
It's no secret--transmission/driving control/differential gearing, will result in top performance--good mileage---expected throttle response-all considering the aerodynamics inherent to the jeep !

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Jimbox, what if you're properly geared AND lose 200 lbs of junk.

Believe me, it makes a difference. I've driven properly geared rigs loaded down with steel armor, tools in the back, a spare on a huge bumper mounted tire carrier, Warn 8274, etc. Move over to a similar rig, same gearing, but without all of the useless hoopla and aluminum armor and it's a totally different experience. If you wheel where performance matters, it matters. Weight is ALWAYS the enemy and is NEVER justified, especially on rigs coming from the factory at over 5k#.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: In that case, there's no logical reason to buy a jeep, unless you're social circle demands the "JEEP" badge-

Jimbox, what if you're properly geared AND lose 200 lbs of junk.

Believe me, it makes a difference. I've driven properly geared rigs loaded down with steel armor, tools in the back, a spare on a huge bumper mounted tire carrier, Warn 8274, etc. Move over to a similar rig, same gearing, but without all of the useless hoopla and aluminum armor and it's a totally different experience. If you wheel where performance matters, it matters. Weight is ALWAYS the enemy and is NEVER justified, especially on rigs coming from the factory at over 5k#.
If you buy a jeep for it's inherent purposes--weight should not be consideration and unless you enjoy the daily/weekly/monthly practice of shedding weight, then SAFELY, reattaching said weight reducers, because of daily driver necessities, then enjoy your routine--I'm not of that venue-

1 - 20 of 52 Posts