Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started off-roading on the ol' TJ. It is a 100% unmodified 2004 TJ 4.0 5 Spd. I'm looking at lifting it to fit 33" tires (potentially 35s) but am intrigued by this lift kit. Those shocks are tried and true and the components seem of pretty good quality. I'm looking to see what, in your all's experience, would be missing from this kit to make sure I'm alright on the trail. Not interested in other lift kit advice (all I got from other forums and didn't help with my question at all). I'd imagine probably a pitman arm? Already changing out the fenders and the backspacing on the 33x12.5x15s shouldn't have and clearance issues.

Any and all help I can get is much appreciated!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,956 Posts
Since you're not interested in any advice that doesn't praise Quadratec's house brand kit that leaves me out and likely 99% of everyone else here too. We could advise on proper Pitman arm choices too but it may differ from what's in Quadratec's kit. :)

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
If it's the one with the control arms that's a no-go. Those arms have less flex than your stock arms and would eventually tear your mounts off. Suspension is one place that you do not want to cheap out... I know it's not what you want to hear but that's my two cents. Buy once, cry once... Much better than a poor lift that will cause you headaches.

Stock pitman arm is best otherwise you will screw up steering geometry and cause bump steer.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'll add that just by refusing to hear about other options you have put yourself at a HUGE disadvantage....

.... Hi, I know nothing about this topic but here is the only answer I'll accept......

·
Registered
366 Posts
I’ll recommend you re-word your question. Maybe state your budget and ask for recommendations. If all the forums are disagreeing with you, there’s likely a reason.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
it. Those shocks are tried and true and the components seem of pretty good quality.
Then I would just buy the shocks (~$140/ea) and then when you are ready for advice on better springs that aren't made by Skyjacker...let us know when you are ready for suggestions. :)

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
drop pitman on TJ....not most, sounds fishy.

lift to fit new tires, ok. already changing fenders?
right fenders and you don't need a lift. right lift you don't need fenders.

hope you got better info on the backspacing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I guess the way I worded it sounds off. I have gotten already tons of recommendations for lift kits in my budget. I'm just trying to see what and how much would be needed to add to the quadratec lift so I can compare to the other lift kits. I asked the question before and no one really answered my question and I just got a lot of the same answer. I'm just trying to compare the options, I'm not set on buying the quadratec kit, I'm just trying to see if its an option.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...-lift-kit-fox-ifp-mono-tube-shocks-97-06-jeep

The link because I forgot to include it.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Looking at the kit you've got the fox shocks... if you like em there's that.. then there's the coils.... since they're no name it's a crapshoot..... maybe they're good, maybe not.... break one next year and good luck replacing it... heck they could change suppliers at any time and it'd still be a "quadratec" spring but could he quite different....
Nothing else in that kit has much value.... the arms are nothing more than scrap metal

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
those arms are a downgrade vs OEM and the springs are rebranded skyjacker.

its hard to compare it to other kits as most on here dont want springs that will sag in a couple years and control arms that will limit movement and add stress to the mounts.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
There is nothing in the qtec kit that interests me. The shocks are nice, but I would be buying them separately using my own measurements.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,956 Posts
I'd get out of the Quadratec catalog or at least stop focusing on Quadratec's house brand products.

Their catalogs are well put together and they do sell a lot of cool stuff but I wouldn't use them for anything like a suspension lift where you need good solid technical pre and post-sales help. I stopped trusting them after alerting them multiple times to technical errors that they never bothered to correct for years. I also don't believe their sales people are technically astute enough for this type of sale where good advice is needed up front, like for things like correct Pitman arm advice. Better to get advice for what lifts are good in the price range you're interested in, then find a good technically astute dealer to buy them from. Some dealers are better than others when it comes to suspension lifts and solid advice and help, to put it mildly.

And frankly, a Quadratec suspension would not get much, if any, respect from your fellow but more experienced Jeepers. Like I say, they have great catalogs and are a great source for many items but buying a suspension lift from them is like shopping at Big Lots or Walmart for your new home's furniture. Possible but...

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
thats another kit that no one on here will recommend, low quality knock off johnny joints, meh shocks, and a drop pitman arm. then the price tag, that takes some balls to charge that much.

for 33's, you'd be much better off with a zone 4.25" combo, savvy/currie lowers, and a MC track bar. that would keep you under $1500 and be a much better setup.

ps, any company that still puts a drop pitman arm in a lift kit for a TJ should be disregarded IMO

·
Knows a couple things...
49,956 Posts
For the $$$, it's hard to beat the Zone kits. They're not expensive and they give good value for the $$$. I personally run a Currie suspension lift but if I was just getting into Jeeping and wanting to install a suspension lift without an unlimited budget Zone would be high on my list to get serious about.

And any lift that includes a dropped Pitman arm for a standard geometry geometry steering system shouldn't get any serious consideration... Tera, Rough Country, Quadratec, and Skyjacker being four that do. All a dropped Pitman arm does for a Jeep with a steering system with the factory geometry is cause bump steer, something no one wants.

Why do some suspension lift manufacturers include dropped Pitman arms in their kits when they'll just cause bump steer? Force of habit is my guess. Before the Wrangler TJ was released in 1996, all Jeeps required dropped Pitman arms when suspension lifts were installed so I guess because they build for so many other brands of vehicles they don't understand the TJ well enough. But the TJ's new improved steering geometry design eliminated the need for dropped Pitman arms so installing one will just screw up that geometry and cause bump steer. Unbelievably not all manufacturers have figured that out yet. The astute manufacturers like Currie and Zone did with their first TJ suspension lift kits. Bump steer by the way is when the steering is 'bumped' hard left or right as you drive over bumps or dips in the road or on the trail.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
the Zone equipment seems to have a substantial following and is reasonable. from what I've heard.
and to fit 33's you could prob scoot by with a 3" combo (2"suspension and 1"body lift)
with proper backspaced rims and the right bump stop set, you'd be golden.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
Zone is a good kit because it only gives you what is needed to get the job done with decent results. Additionally, it is very conducive for further refining the build without requiring you to replace what you already bought.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Alright, sounds like it may not even be worth it to add this one to the list. Right now the number one on my list is the teraflex 4". Any advice on this one? or the 9550 shocks?

https://teraflex.com/shop_items/528ffa7fead962f416e72dab
I have the Zone 4.25" combo and love it. I've had this lift for about 5 years with 33's and no sagging. I've also added the curry front trackbar. Eventually I will upgrade the Zone shocks and other upgrades. But for a cheaper alternative, without breaking the bank, this is a great setup. I'm so happy with this, thanks to a lot of recommendations from the guys on this forum.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,956 Posts
the Zone equipment seems to have a substantial following and is reasonable. from what I've heard.
and to fit 33's you could prob scoot by with a 3" combo (2"suspension and 1"body lift)
with proper backspaced rims and the right bump stop set, you'd be golden.
I don't personally believe only 3" of additional clearance is enough for 33x12.5 tires for a Jeep that will be going off road.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts