Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase the Quadratec Hardrock wheels in Satin Black for my ‘16 stock tank green JKU. Currently have BFG Muds KM 255/75/R17’s.

If I am looking to purchase Wrangler Duratracs for install on the Hardrock wheels....what size tire would be recommended? Same as current? Larger? (if so, specs?).

Prefer the aggressive look, however, no intention of adding a lift, just looking to add these on stock.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Since those wheels are 8.5" wide, I would say that any tire that is 255mm wide or wider would work just fine on them. The are 1" wider than the stock wheels so will accept larger tires if you ever want to go that route.

The LT255/75R17 tires you have are 10" wide. BFG states on their website the LT255/75R17 KO2s are to be mounted on wheels that are 6.5" to 8.5" wide. Their specs are hard to find on their new website. If you have the KMs, they no longer show their specs, but they would be the same for each tire size.

BTW, after I had my TJ repainted, the OEM wheels no longer looked right so I went with the Quadratec Rubicon Extreme wheels (16") in black. When they arrived, I was impressed with the quality of the wheel and the packaging. I am currently dreaming about their CJ Retro wheels in white for my Chief. I just need to justify $800 in wheels. For the TJ I managed to get by with $600 for the 5.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Appreciate the info, now I have to go and compare the Rubicon Extreme wheels too.

I guess I’m more curious as to what size tire I can comfortably fit on the new wheels with everything stock....no rubbing, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
You will note they have less back space than the Hard Rock wheels (4.75" vs 5.2") and the wheels them selves are 1/2" wider (9" vs 8.5"). While that is perfectly acceptable for the stock LT255/75R17 tires, you can go to a wider tire on the Rubicon Extreme wheels than you can the Hard Rock wheels.

Mounting the stock tires, the stick out almost a half inch more (.45 actually).

Here is a better image of the Rubicon Extremes on my Rubicon (16" to fit the TJ but look the same as the 17" to fit the JK).

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
Thanks.I still have the originals (stored in the boxes those came in).

Backspace, if I have it correct is the distance from the back rim of the wheel to the mounting surface of the wheel. Less backspace means the inside rim of the wheel is further out from all the suspension components and inner fender structure. Since the Rubicon Extremes are a 1/2" wider (can mount a wider tire, but may not be able mount a narrower tire) and have almost a half inch (.45" actual) less back space, means that the inside of the wheel is 1/2" further out and the outside of the wheel is 1" further out giving you a wider stance.

Factory wheels are 7.5" wide with an offset of 44.45mm. Some wheels are quoted with backspace which is easy to figure, and some wheels are quoted with offset. To conver offset to backspace, you have to take the width of the wheel in the calculation. To convert the offset to backspace, I found this calculator:
Wheel Offset to Backspace Calculator | GTSparkplugs

To recap - the inside rim your OEM wheels are 6" inside of the mounting surface of the hub. With Hard Rock wheels the inside rim is 5.2" inside of the mounting surface of the hub and with the Rubicon Extreme wheels, the inside rim is 4.75" inside of the mounting surface of the hub. In addition the Hard Rock wheels are 1" wider than the OEM wheels, so the outside rim is 1.8" (.8" less backspace and wheel is 1" wider than the OEM wheels and the Rubicon Extreme wheels are 1.5" wider than the OEM wheels and with 1.25" less backspace, the outside rim will be 2.75" further out. Just went out and a quick eyeball estimate has the out rim of my OEM wheels about 1 1/4" inside the outer edge of the flares, so both HR and RE wheels and tires will be a bit outside of the flares. Not an issue unless you live in PA.

255s should not rub. With less backspace the inside of the wheel will be further away from suspension components and inner fender. You would only encounter rubbing if going larger (wider). Looking at the specs for the BFG KO2s and GY Duratracs, both show acceptable wheel width for the LT255/75R17 tires as 6.5" to 8.5". So the Hard Rock wheels qualify, but the Rubicon Extreme wheels are too wide (at 9").

This is the wheel I am lusting after for my Chief. They have the same specs as those for the Hard Rock wheels (8.5" wide with 5.2" BS).
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/quadratec-hardrock-wheels-2383465.html

I think their retro styling would look good the retro styling on this:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts