Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would think you will need to fabricate something to keep it from sliding forwards. And not just something to suggest it does not slide forward, something that PREVENTS it from sliding forward. The forces involved here are quite high, when the winch is applying a given force to pull and equal yet opposite force is pulling the winch forward.
Maybe a square bar of steel between the front lip and the base of the winch that is the right thickness.
Lacking people giving evidence to the contrary, I tend to agree with you. I finished slotting the holes with a file today. Not the best tool for the job, but got it done. My file was just a tad big, and I could only use the last 4 inches of the taper. I made some plugs to fill the front part of the holes and just put them in place with JB weld. Once in , they will be captured in place, so I'm not worried about the JB weld failing. I wouldn't be surprised to see it intact years later though either.

I'll do a more complete write up of this in another thread. I will probably finish things up tomorrow and post up some finished pics here.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I would think you will need to fabricate something to keep it from sliding forwards. And not just something to suggest it does not slide forward, something that PREVENTS it from sliding forward. The forces involved here are quite high, when the winch is applying a given force to pull and equal yet opposite force is pulling the winch forward.
Maybe a square bar of steel between the front lip and the base of the winch that is the right thickness.
Gotta +1 that - If the winch can lift the Jeep, it can sure as heck slide the bolts.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Got my bumper today, and the install went easily. Unfortunately the winch is not playing well with the bumper. There is an interference between the winch motor and the brush guard on the bumper. To fix that, I'm filing the holes to allow the winch to move back 1/4 inch. It's a pain in the neck doing it with a file, but it's what I've got to work with. I've got 2 of them filed out, then it started raining on me, and I was tired and frustrated. Time for a break.

Quick question... Will the clamping force of the 4 bolts be enough to secure the winch from sliding forward in the 4 slotted holes, or will I have to fabricate something to stop it from sliding forward?

BTW, just so anyone interested in this combo, it's a DV8 FS-1 bumper. Nice bumper for the price, but it's needing some minor massaging to work with this winch.
I agree. You will need something to prevent any potential movement(JB Weld is not gonna cut it here).
Better yet, you would probably be better off either drilling a new set of holes or even better yet cutting a notch in that brush guard to clear that 1/4" needed.

If you get a load on that winch and it slips there is a better then average chance that something is going to break. Hopefully nobody is around when it happens.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree. You will need something to prevent any potential movement(JB Weld is not gonna cut it here).
The JB weld is really only to hold the pieces I cut from steel plate in place while doing assembly. It's a piece of steel plate, rounded at one end, cut concave at the other. Once in place, the JB weld could dissolve, and the bolts will still have less movement than the slop from the original holes in the mounting plate. I guess I could always go back and put another reinforcement on the underside of the mounting plate just to be extra double super secure about it.

Anyhow, here's some pics. First is the mounting plate with the shims in place to fill the slotted holes. I hit it with some Rustoleum to help stop any rust. Not a great paint match, but it's not really visible.

Then, just a couple of shots of the winch/bumper.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I think I would have notched the bumper tube for the needed room vs elongating the holes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So this morning I did fab up a 3/16 inch plate to go under the rear of the winch mount. I'm sure it's stronger like that than before the holes were slotted. The bolts have no where to slide forward, and there's zero chance of pulling that 3/16 inch plate through the slotted holes. I'm more than satisfied that it's good to go.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I like the stealth orange fairlead
Mine? Yeah, that was a complaint I had at one point. The black fairlead @Quadratec supplies is pointless, it faded real quick! Like, weeks... Why bother?

But I've since planned to go with bronze wheels for the Jeep, so I've come to like the bronze looking fairlead.

But still, why bother providing a black fairlead if it can't last?

·
Super Moderator
6,806 Posts
Mine? Yeah, that was a complaint I had at one point. The black fairlead @Quadratec supplies is pointless, it faded real quick! Like, weeks... Why bother?

But I've since planned to go with bronze wheels for the Jeep, so I've come to like the bronze looking fairlead.

But still, why bother providing a black fairlead if it can't last?
Mine is still black, but time will tell. It has only been a month or so.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Mine is still black, but time will tell. It has only been a month or so.
I first started to notice after about a month. The bottom stayed dark, and the most noticeable spot was where my winch line crossed over it and stayed tight against it, when I pulled my line out, there was a very dark spot beneath that had been protected from the sun more than the rest.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,525 Posts
Hey guys,

With the faded fairlead our supplier did not add enough UV inhibitor to the coating. We have resolved this. If you have a faded fairlead and would like a replacement, just contact us at 1-800-745-6037 Mon-Fri, 9-5 Eastern, via e-mail: [email protected] or here via PM. Let us know your order number (Or your first & last name, address, zip if you do not have the order number) and that you have a faded Quadratec Stealth winch fairlead. We'll get a new one out to you.

Thanks!

-Rick

·
Registered
44 Posts
So if everything is basically made in China how do you choose the right winch? I was told Smittybuilt suck but they have 2 more HP than the Quadratec stealth, and to me that seems like a lot.

We all know Warn is top dawg but are they THAT much better to justify the price tag?

I definitely dig the Quadratec price and it has the synthetic cable which is great IMO.

Decisions decisions...

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
So if everything is basically made in China how do you choose the right winch? I was told Smittybuilt suck but they have 2 more HP than the Quadratec stealth, and to me that seems like a lot.

We all know Warn is top dawg but are they THAT much better to justify the price tag?

I definitely dig the Quadratec price and it has the synthetic cable which is great IMO.

Decisions decisions...
Best advise I ever heard was, its better to have any winch, than no winch at all when you need one. For the whole import vs usa deal.. sure buy usa if you can, but my replacement Warn branded motor for my made in USA Warn winch came from China.. so at this point, buy what you can afford, and consider who has a good warranty should things go bad.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
What happened to the rest of the story?
Unfortunately, a series of misadventures.. one involving a auto trailer blowing multiple tires that we planned to use to tow a test jeep to a OHV with. rest of setbackswere no where near as nutz, but it was always something that seemed to prevent us from fulling reporting.

That being said, we recently mounted the same winch from the story on our project JK, winch still works like new..and I would say we are heading out to some trails in another state next week that might give us an opportunity to report.. but I don't want to jinx it..

·
Registered
110 Posts
The JB weld is really only to hold the pieces I cut from steel plate in place while doing assembly. It's a piece of steel plate, rounded at one end, cut concave at the other. Once in place, the JB weld could dissolve, and the bolts will still have less movement than the slop from the original holes in the mounting plate. I guess I could always go back and put another reinforcement on the underside of the mounting plate just to be extra double super secure about it.

Anyhow, here's some pics. First is the mounting plate with the shims in place to fill the slotted holes. I hit it with some Rustoleum to help stop any rust. Not a great paint match, but it's not really visible.

Then, just a couple of shots of the winch/bumper.
Make some little metal half moon fillers that will fit in the spaces, then tighten her down and it wont go anywhere. They should be locked under the bolts/washers when tightened.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Make some little metal half moon fillers that will fit in the spaces, then tighten her down and it wont go anywhere. They should be locked under the bolts/washers when tightened.
That's pretty much exactly what I did. I also added some plate under the holes just to make it absolutely impossible to pull the bolts through the holes that I elongated. No doubt it'w way overkill, but when things get modified, it's doesn't hurt to go over kill on the side of safety.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts