Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my Q9500i synthetic this weekend, and put it into use the very next day. Wifey decided that a wild cherry tree stump needed to be removed from her garden, and I quickly volunteered using the winch over rutting up the yard with the tractor. This a fairly large stump froma tree that we had cut down less than a year ago, so I knew that it would be a great test for the winch. To anchor the jeep, I used a new 10,000 lb tow strap to attach the rear frame to large Osage Orange tree. As the winch pulled snug, I noticed that the jeep slowly crept forward. Soon the was a loud snap and I wondered what had given, as I honestly feared that the rear frame attachment had given way. As I walked towards the rear of the jeep, I found this.

This was a true test of the winch, as the stall point seemed to be greater than the straps rating. It never complained or whined, just worked as it should. I look forward to giving even more reviews of this winchs use, as the internet seems to be lacking in that department. So far, so good!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps we shouldn't trust cheap straps to be rated what at they say they are.
Agreed! As I feel relatively certain that I hadn't approached 10,000 pounds yet. Perhaps that should be the next magazine shoot-out. Strap performance vs stated strength. Regardless, there was quite a good load laid on that winch and cable.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Looking more closely at your strap packaging, it has a working load of 3,300lbs and a breaking strength of 10,000lbs.

Regardless of the brand of winch, that strap (along with everything else in your recovery kit) needed to be at least twice the rating of your winch. You were kind of asking for this to happen. That strap is/was very unsafe to use with your winch. You had no safety margin and someone could get injured in any number of ways.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Looking more closely at your strap packaging, it has a working load of 3,300lbs and a breaking strength of 10,000lbs.
This.

As a general rule, all straps which are rated for X pounds have a working load limit of only 1/3 X pounds. The working load limit is the manufacturer's safe designated capacity of the strap, and it is the capacity (limit) you should follow when using a strap. By anchoring yourself via a 10,000 lb breaking strength strap and then winching with a 9500 lb winch, you were essentially asking the strap to break.

If you plan to try this stunt again, I suggest you purchase a 30,000 lb breaking strength strap. It would have a working load limit of 10,000 lbs and, as such, would be a better match for your winch.

Perhaps we shouldn't trust cheap straps to be rated what they say they are.
Perhaps we should stay within the safe operational limits of the straps we use.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
This.

As a general rule, all straps which are rated for X pounds have a working load limit of only 1/3 X pounds. The working load limit is the manufacturer's safe designated capacity of the strap, and it is the capacity (limit) you should follow when using a strap. By anchoring yourself via a 10,000 lb breaking strength strap and then winching with a 9500 lb winch, you were essentially asking the strap to break.

If you plan to try this stunt again, I suggest you purchase a 30,000 lb breaking strength strap. It would have a working load limit of 10,000 lbs and, as such, would be a better match for your winch.

Perhaps we should stay within the safe operational limits of the straps we use.
Yup :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
one thing to think about when strapping your Jeep to a tree at the back and then using the winch on the front to pull on a highly immovable object is that you risk bending/damaging your Jeep depending on the alignment and attachment points, in this case the strap was acting like a fuse and may have kept you from doing damage. You might do better to nose the Jeep up to the tree you are using for an anchor so that all the pulling forces are acting on the bumper and not being passed through your frame.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Useful advice being given here, and it's appreciated. I have a fair amount of heavy wire rope, chains, and dozer straps laying around the farm, That smaller strap however, was the most handy.
I'm not sold on the idea of pulling my jeep into a tree, especially when the winch itself sits in the middle of the bumper. I've always mounted the anchor to the rear of the frame, but then again, most of my previous winch experience was done with an old F-250 lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts