Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried these "Super Tweeters" from Quadratec?

Super Tweeters (Pair)
For 15-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK
Quadratec Part No: 14133.1102
Manufacturer Part No: JK-TWEET15

Quadratec JK-TWEET15 - Super Tweeters (Pair) for 15-16 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I have the Base Audio with 8 speakers in my 2016 JKU. I have the 77KICK10 upgrades and it is MUCH better. Forum seems to universally agree these are great.

I was thinking about the 77kick25ab as well, but Kicker says they aren't for the Jeep. They don't appear to be an exact fit, some people say they stick up a bit. Some people say you need a bass blocker, some say you dont. Forum is much more split on these.

So I did see these "Super Tweeters" from Quadratec. Looks like they fit perfect, and they are already angled and have bass blockers.

I have the 430N head unit.

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
It looks like they have gotten them to be plug and play which is nice, but they are making a killing on those...

Here is an interesting thread on doing it yourself if you are interested. I suspect you could buy a pair of 1" domes for about $25 or less if you wanted... Those would come with the high pass filter and all you would have to do is mod the factory speaker as a mounting plate.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/2...h-tweeter-replacement-discussion-1226961.html

I suspect there might also be mounts out there for a tweeter to fit the 3.5 holes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
It looks like they have gotten them to be plug and play which is nice, but they are making a killing on those...

Here is an interesting thread on doing it yourself if you are interested. I suspect you could buy a pair of 1" domes for about $25 or less if you wanted... Those would come with the high pass filter and all you would have to do is mod the factory speaker as a mounting plate.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/2...h-tweeter-replacement-discussion-1226961.html

I suspect there might also be mounts out there for a tweeter to fit the 3.5 holes.

Good luck.
Are these the 77KICK25ab speakers?

https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Kicker-Speaker-Upgrade-77KICK25AB/dp/B008I2UYPI

I thought I read somewhere before they didn't work but if they do they look a lot easier to install than the dash 77KICK10s! Looks like you just pop the plastic grille and swap them? I assume the plastic grille still fits over these to keep the stock look or will it not fit anymore?

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
Are these the 77KICK25ab speakers?

https://www.amazon.com/Dodge-Kicker-Speaker-Upgrade-77KICK25AB/dp/B008I2UYPI

I thought I read somewhere before they didn't work but if they do they look a lot easier to install than the dash 77KICK10s! Looks like you just pop the plastic grille and swap them? I assume the plastic grille still fits over these to keep the stock look or will it not fit anymore?
Yes, those are the ones. I don't have the newer dash so I am only passing on hearsay... Someone said that some installations have magnet and A/C duct interference. I don't mind modding a little as needed on a project like this. I would use a heat gun to change the shape of the A/C duct a little if needed. I believe the grill still fits.

Here's another source: Dodge Dart Speakers (Part No: 77KICK25AB)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Yes, those are the ones. I don't have the newer dash so I am only passing on hearsay... Someone said that some installations have magnet and A/C duct interference. I don't mind modding a little as needed on a project like this. I would use a heat gun to change the shape of the A/C duct a little if needed. I believe the grill still fits.

Now I'm seeing all this stuff about bass blockers too? Are those 100% necessary?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yes, those are the 77KICK25ab, when I called Kicker they said they don't work. However many people on this forum said they do work.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
They work. Had them and got rid of them. Went with OEM Alpines in dash with bass blockers are its SOOO much better.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Now I'm seeing all this stuff about bass blockers too? Are those 100% necessary?
Only if using an amp with a aftermarket HU or a LC2i and factory radio. Or they will distort with bass up.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Very little duct interference. Just a very small push down and they fit.

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
I would put one on around 250hz just to keep the bass from over driving the small 3.5" speaker.

They work. Had them and got rid of them. Went with OEM Alpines in dash with bass blockers are its SOOO much better.
The OEM Alpines aren't crisp enough for me... I think I would do the 1" dome if I had the newer dash.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Only if using an amp with a aftermarket HU or a LC2i and factory radio. Or they will distort with bass up.
For now (when I get the 77KICK25ab) they will be powered by likely a Pioneer 3800 HU and no external amp. Will I still need them?

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I would put one on around 250hz just to keep the bass from over driving the small 3.5" speaker.

The OEM Alpines aren't crisp enough for me... I think I would do the 1" dome if I had the newer dash.
Good to know but what exactly does that mean put one on around 250hz?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Unfortunately the biggest flaw in the Jeep system is the positioning of the dash mounted Tweeters, instead of pointing at you like the <2014 models they are aimed directly up towards the windshield. All you get is reflected sound and self cancelling noise. If you want to understand me turn on your system for a minute then lean your head forward on top of the steering wheel right next to the windshield, you will hear way more information and detail because you are getting direct sound, not reflected. I had the Alpine upgrade system in my JK Willy's and while it was louder and had more Bass it really didn't sound much better than the base system in my JKU from the drivers seat. I wish I had the older units properly mounted tweeters. Both of my Jeeps sounded rather horrible IMO as far as sound quality. If all you want is quantity instead of quality you'll be fine.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Unfortunately the biggest flaw in the Jeep system is the positioning of the dash mounted Tweeters, instead of pointing at you like the <2014 models they are aimed directly up towards the windshield. ........ If all you want is quantity instead of quality you'll be fine.

well, the Super Tweeters claim "Tweeters angle directly towards both the driver and passenger for optimum sound quality", which is part of what interested me

do you have a recommendation?

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
Good to know but what exactly does that mean put one on around 250hz?

A bass blocker is simply a capacitor that acts as a filter. Some of the more expensive units use a coil as well to increase the rate of cutoff. The rating on the capacitor in conjunction with the impedance of the speaker determines the bass cutoff frequency.

In order to do it correctly, we need someone to verify the speaker impedance on the Kickers 4ohm or 2ohm? And then I can size the capacitor or you can just buy one that's set for 250-300 at the speaker impedance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts