Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it normal for a 3 month old top to start sagging and pooling water over the drivers seat (like a gallon or better)? It's actually pulling the screws out of the windshield mount!! I called Quadratec and they told me its a known issue whenever you replace a top on a YJ? Seriously!! They told me the only solution is a top prop! Is this true or are they just trying to get out of replacing my top? Thanks for any help. BTW I gave my OLD top to my buddy for his YJ and it NEVER collected any water on either of our jeeps!!

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think this is a common problem. I have a new Rampage top that does the same. A top prop is an easy solution, but don't buy one. Search this site for how to make one with PVC. Works great!

·
Registered
568 Posts
My top is about the same age, but doesn't collect any water. They might be telling you to get the prop top to spend more cabbage, or could solve your problem. if its still under warranty i'd send that right back

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
sagging top is pretty common, the original top on my heep sagged so much there was a 2x4 run from the windshield to roll bar to prop it up. I replaced it with a cheap pavement ends top that didn't sag but after 2 years it has shrunk so bad I can't get the windows to zip up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'v had my bestop super top for about a year now and not really had that issue unless it straight downpours the night before and usually quadratecs customer service is good I don't think there're trying to sell you needless things

·
Registered
742 Posts
Is it normal for a 3 month old top to start sagging and pooling water over the drivers seat (like a gallon or better)?
No that's not normal or at least they weren't originally designed that way. Stupid question but is the frame that supports the top intact? Sounds like you just have a 'low' spot that causes the weight of the water to pool. Thats why they suggested a 'top prop' which you can easily make as was suggested. The top prop will work but its something else IMO

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could understand if the top was 2 years old but I got it only 3 months ago!!! Frame is good and it's installed correctly!

·
Registered
742 Posts
I could understand if the top was 2 years old but I got it only 3 months ago!!! Frame is good and it's installed correctly!
Did you have the same 'pooling' condition before you replaced the top?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Well if the hardware is the same and it didn't pool before the replacement I would definitely send it back. Quadratec is a premier vendor at this Forum and their quality reputation is well deserved. Call them or write explaining you are a member of this Forum and are unhappy with the product. I would be amazed if they don't make you happy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Called Quadratec again today they are sending me a new top but only after 3 calls, emailing pics and really asking to replace an item that im not satisfied with. The rep still insisted the top was not bad and that all tops sag! I dont believe that at all but hopefully the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Can't ask for more than that from any supplier. Hope the new one makes you happy.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My Bestop Replace-A-Top is 10 years old and has never pooled. I did have a Smittybuilt top on one of my other YJs...it sagged after 1 summer when it was new. The top had more of a rubbery stretch in material than a good Bestop, which has more fabric material than rubber. I think this is the main difference in tops. My next top will be a Sailcloth when the current one is done for.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Tarby, im with you on that. The ONLY top i'll ever invest in is bestop. they make a really high quality top and you can get them in thick canvas which lasts MUCH longer than quadratops. next time anyone replaces a top, I highly recommend investing in Bestop. hope this helps.

·
Registered
742 Posts
X2. And their floor mats too

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah lesson learned my old top was a best top and figured I could save a few bucks this is not what I expected from a top supposedly to be as good :(

1 - 17 of 17 Posts