Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a review on either of these?

The Tonno cover is MUCH less expensive, but I'm curious about the quality?

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I have the Pavement Ends version. Think about how often you will be using it and decide if top of the line is something you need. For me, it wasn't. I paid about $40 for mine on Amazon. It was a warehouse deal because the box was damaged. Product was fine.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Pavement ends version is definitely made by Bestop. They own it.

Edit: I do believe the Bestop version is a thicker material than Pavement ends or Quadratop, but for a tonneau cover I don't think it needs to be very thick. Mine doesn't flap or anything.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the besttop and what I love about it is that I can have the soft top up w/ Windows out and still have the 'duster' installed which is just perfect for those days when I'm not so sure about the weather. I am sure you can probably do this with others as well.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have the quadratec tonno and I like it. It fits good. On my second year now and it's still good but I can tell it will eventually start to stretch out maybe a few years down the road. It's a perfect match with the soft top material (sailcloth not the premium twill) which shouldn't matter for my 2dr because the top's gotta be completely removed, however, my bestop soft doors arrived today and everything matches. I asked a sales rep at quadratec what the difference was and he said that the bestop is a little thicker and may last a few more years then theirs...wasn't an issue for me and my uses though. Also, the Q one has a small green tag in the back left corner with "quadratec" on it...can be easily cut off if it bothers ya.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the besttop and what I love about it is that I can have the soft top up w/ Windows out and still have the 'duster' installed which is just perfect for those days when I'm not so sure about the weather. I am sure you can probably do this with others as well.
That's what I'm looking for. As well as keeping out the fricken gypsy moth caterpillars that are all over the place here.

·
Registered
886 Posts
That's what I'm looking for. As well as keeping out the fricken gypsy moth caterpillars that are all over the place here.
I see you have a 2dr but also that you have a trektop nx. I just want to point out a few things so that others don't get confused:

With the trektop you can have any of the tonno covers installed with just the top up (not the windows). This should be true for any frameless soft top. The windows can't go in because the tonno uses the entire sail flap channel and tailgait bar.

With a 4dr you can keep the factory soft top folded back because the bow assembly (frame) is above the tonno cover but on a 2dr the bow assembly curves down below the tonno cover. So if you want to install a tonno cover on a 2dr and you have a factory soft top (or one with a frame) you must fully remove the top from the jeep...it cannot be folded back. Also, no soft top windows of any style can be on with any style tonno cover.

I just don't want someone with a 2dr and factory soft top to think they can have the factory soft top folded back with a tonno cover installed. I'm pretty sure this is all accurate information but if not, someone please correct me...thanks.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, 2drs with factory soft top could keep their top up, all windows out, and tonno cover on. couldn't put the back flaps in but use something like this maybe:
Clover Patch 10-ST-9106 - Clover Patch Convert-A-Top for 92-08 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, TJ & JK 2 Door - Quadratec

Not sure about those straps in the back but could find a way to attach them if necessary. Still can't fold the top back but you could flip the sunrider open. Haven't even considered this set up but now I got something to think about...

2dr, factory safari top, tonno cover, and sunrider on the nice days...might be pretty sweet!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I see you have a 2dr but also that you have a trektop nx. I just want to point out a few things so that others don't get confused:

With the trektop you can have any of the tonno covers installed with just the top up (not the windows). This should be true for any frameless soft top. The windows can't go in because the tonno uses the entire sail flap channel and tailgait bar.
I saw that, you posted it in another thread. Thank you. I would take the duster off when I put the windows on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hopefully I'm installing the Tuffy deck this weekend. I'm curious how it will work with that.

It looks good to go.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hopefully I'm installing the Tuffy deck this weekend. I'm curious how it will work with that.

It looks good to go.
Yup should be good. Been looking at gettin a tuffy but wish they were a little less $. Good luck with your install! I'll be installing my soft doors in the morning and tweaking the fitment then pulling them right back off and throwing them under the tonno for a later date....no real rain in the foreseeable future woohoo!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
You might be surprised at how nice driving with the half doors on is. It's a lot less windy and still very open feeling. I really like it.

I also want a tuffy to replace my instatrunk so I can have more lockable storage. Looking forward to pics of the tuffy with the duster installed. Never seen anyone with that combo but it should work nicely.

·
Registered
886 Posts
You might be surprised at how nice driving with the half doors on is. It's a lot less windy and still very open feeling. I really like it.
Yeah I can already tell that I'm going to like the half doors a lot. Got both installed and and they fit nicely and open/close real good, however, upon installing the uppers, the driver's side will not mate with the lower. No amount of bending will work as the problem is due to one of the female ends on the lower is not parallel with the other 2. The passenger side upper I got to fit although very tight fit but workable. Pics sent to bestop customer service...now I wait. At least there's no rain in the forecast!

·
Registered
58 Posts

I also want a tuffy to replace my instatrunk so I can have more lockable storage. Looking forward to pics of the tuffy with the duster installed. Never seen anyone with that combo but it should work nicely.
If I do get it I'll post up some pics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts