Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a winch for the wife's JK on a special deal, but it came with a cable instead of a synthetic winch rope, and I want to swap it for the synthetic rope.

What's a good quality brand? The winch is a Smittybilt. I've looked at their replacement ropes, and they are kinda spendy, figure there is another quality one that I can look at that might be less expensive.

Lots of different brands out there, and I'm guessing lots of cheap crap. Anyone have any experience with a quality one? Wouldn't mind a colored one, she likes that kind of stuff.

10k winch.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Samson Amsteel Blue is a quality US manufacturer.

Reactions: jadmt

·
Super Moderator
23,431 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Samson Amsteel Blue is a quality US manufacturer.
Thanks, I'll give them try.

I would not skimp on synthetic winch line.

I know people who have been treated well by this outfit and recommend them.

https://www.bigfootwinchropes.com/garage-sale?fbclid=IwAR3-uykRaJW_XHRQVHoihAzuWV5u_ilBhypSfQjqnYHFUZTYro86f6T_Cuw
I don't plan to, that's why I'm asking the question. I don't want a cheap one, but if there is a better priced one out there, I'd like to take a look.

I'll take a look, thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I wouldn't skimp on recovery gear either, neither would I want to spend 2X for the same thing. How do you know that the rope you pay $200+ for from a specialty company doesn't come from the same factory in China as the Amazon $100 rope? Problem is that everyone claims that their line is quality/approved/rated/etc., but few if any will identify the manufacturer (perhaps because it might change often.) Superwinch is an exception in that they specify they use Samson rope but their replacement line has been out of stock ever since the buyout so who knows if it will ever be available again. Is there anyone else that specifies who manufacturers their rope? You're probably safe buying from Warn but do you have to pay $350 in order to be confident?

·
Super Moderator
23,431 Posts
I did :). it was actually a bit less but made me feel good.

I think if I remember correctly mine said made in the Netherlands (Dyneema)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn't skimp on recovery gear either, neither would I want to spend 2X for the same thing. How do you know that the rope you pay $200+ for from a specialty company doesn't come from the same factory in China as the Amazon $100 rope? Problem is that everyone claims that their line is quality/approved/rated/etc., but few if any will identify the manufacturer (perhaps because it might change often.) Superwinch is an exception in that they specify they use Samson rope but their replacement line has been out of stock ever since the buyout so who knows if it will ever be available again. Is there anyone else that specifies who manufacturers their rope? You're probably safe buying from Warn but do you have to pay $350 in order to be confident?
Good post. I know I'm not going to go a 29.99 no-name, Amazon made in China special, but a $150 name brand (Rough Country), $250 name brand (Smittybuilt) or $300+ Warn?

From the post above, Samson is good stuff, so I'll do some more digging on what they offer, and who sells their products.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Good post. I know I'm not going to go a 29.99 no-name, Amazon made in China special, but a $150 name brand (Rough Country), $250 name brand (Smittybuilt) or $300+ Warn?

From the post above, Samson is good stuff, so I'll do some more digging on what they offer, and who sells their products.
The general categories seem to be the $100 range Amazon stuff (which actually might be OK, hard to know without testing), then the specialty providers which are in the $200 range but I'm far from convinced that what they are selling is really any different than what's on Amazon, then vendors like Warn which can be trusted but probably have very high mark-up.

The sweet spot would seem to be a vendor that is willing to cut the BS and name the manufacturer of the rope (or at least provide certification/test data), but without the big-name overhead costs. I suspect the price of that product would end up somewhere in between lowest and highest yet still be of perfectly reliable quality.

Please let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Olympus Offroad ARE single braid or double braid synthetic winch lines, soft shackles and line extensions and rigging lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Now we're talking. The ARE lines specify material used (Dyneema SK79), composition, designed for winch service, are warrantied, etc. and you can even get them on Amazon if you like.

https://www.amazon.com/Arachni-Recovery-Equipment-Synthetic-Reflective/dp/B07H2MG4FW/ref=sr_1_1
Disclaimer: I do not claim the Arachni product to be junk. I have looked at the Arachni product in the past and was scratching my head after reading their description. Just a guess on my end but it appears their winch line might be a smaller diameter Dyneema SK** center (can't see inside) and a Kevlar type outer sleeve, can see. I have not seen any info on Dyneema SK79, maybe a typo. It's the price that scared me away. It may be an awesome winch line for the price.

Amsteel blue (which is made of Dyneema) or any Dyneema synthetic rope in the 7/16" variety is priced at $3.80 per foot and up. You can get a Dyneema winch line in the 7/16" x 100' for right around $300 including thimble and mounting lug.

I have been using synthetic for maybe six years and am totally pleased. Easy to work with on the trail, in the winter especially. I got a spool of 7/16" Amsteel Blue and made the winch line, 5 shackles, and extension lines. Big money for sure but worth it to me. I have made various rigging items with it and use them often while logging my firewood. Gone are the days of wearing leather gloves to protect from frayed steel rope.

·
Registered
5,479 Posts
Disclaimer: I do not claim the Arachni product to be junk. I have looked at the Arachni product in the past and was scratching my head after reading their description. Just a guess on my end but it appears their winch line might be a smaller diameter Dyneema SK** center (can't see inside) and a Kevlar type outer sleeve, can see. I have not seen any info on Dyneema SK79, maybe a typo. It's the price that scared me away. It may be an awesome winch line for the price.

Amsteel blue (which is made of Dyneema) or any Dyneema synthetic rope in the 7/16" variety is priced at $3.80 per foot and up. You can get a Dyneema winch line in the 7/16" x 100' for right around $300 including thimble and mounting lug.

I have been using synthetic for maybe six years and am totally pleased. Easy to work with on the trail, in the winter especially. I got a spool of 7/16" Amsteel Blue and made the winch line, 5 shackles, and extension lines. Big money for sure but worth it to me. I have made various rigging items with it and use them often while logging my firewood. Gone are the days of wearing leather gloves to protect from frayed steel rope.

Arachni winch lines can be had in 7/16 x 100 for $225 at Olympus. Both the 12 strand and Spidersilk double braid are rated at 30,000lb. I’ve used both types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Check out customsplice.com. They have Amsteel Blue at a reasonable price. Most Warn winches use 3/8” x 100ft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts