Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just add steps to my stock JKU Rubi Rock Rails, or do I need to buy a whole new set up? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
The Barricade and Ace rock sliders will bolt up with your stock Rubicon rails in place. They can both be used as a decent step.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much 4fit. I'll take a look at those options. I just bought my first Jeep 2 months ago, and I have a bad feeling I'll be broke before it's all said and done...

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had the same exact question just a week or so ago. I have a new JKUR as well and the rock rails are useless for a step. I decided that I am going to remove mine and replace with Quadratec Side Armor Steps. I have the Mopar 2" lift and just installed 34s, so it's 4" higher than stock so not having steps is not an option. I looked around at different options and the QT side steps seem to be the best option for looks and function...and for price.

I did check out the Ace and Barricade Rock Sliders. The Barricades did require that you remove the rock rails on a Rubicon and they don't seem to offer as sturdy of a step. The Ace Rock Sliders is pretty much the same type of tubular step but you can leave the rails on. Both were higher priced than the QT Armor Step. It is also worth noting that the stock Rubicon rails protrude about 1.5" into the rear wheel wells and will be very close to a 35" tire.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadrat...07-16-jeep-wrangler-and-wrangler-unlimited-jk

·
Registered
3,345 Posts

I did check out the Ace and Barricade Rock Sliders. The Barricades did require that you remove the rock rails on a Rubicon and they don't seem to offer as sturdy of a step. The Ace Rock Sliders is pretty much the same type of tubular step but you can leave the rails on.
The Barricade rock sliders can absolutely be used with the stock Rubi rails.

As for the Rubi rail coming close to 35s, that is definitely true. However, lopping off an inch or so is a simple process and gives plenty of clearance. An example of that can be seen in this post in the Barricade vs Ace Sliders thread. That thread is definitely worth checking out. Lots of information on both units.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The Barricade rock sliders can absolutely be used with the stock Rubi rails.

As for the Rubi rail coming close to 35s, that is definitely true. However, lopping off an inch or so is a simple process and gives plenty of clearance. An example of that can be seen in this post in the Barricade vs Ace Sliders thread. That thread is definitely worth checking out. Lots of information on both units.
My bad Jeff, you are right. I was thinking about the Barricade Side Steps. The Rock Sliders do work with the stock Rubi rails. I still prefer the type of steps provided on the QT Armor Side Steps, but hey, it just boils down to personal preferences.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again I like the look of the Barricade when combined with the stock rubi rails. I watched the install video and it doesn't look that bad and they seem very solid. Great choice!

·
Registered
295 Posts
My QT Armor Rails arrived today. Took about 1 hour start to finish on the install. Hardest part was holding them in place to get a couple of screws started, otherwise easy install. Nice steps on the top end and solid rock armor sliders underneath. You have some good options whatever you decide to go with.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About to pull the trigger on the Barricade's. All look great. Question: Is the Barricade clearance out enough from the rubi rail for a comfortable step? The angled section of the Barricade makes it hard to see in the pictures. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
The thread that I linked earlier shows several shots of the Barricade in use as a step. Seems like the Ace units extend about 4" from the Rubi rails while the Barricade units are around 3"ish.

As mentioned by WNCDave, it really all comes down to personal preference. If you are truly after nothing but a step and don't want/need the protection of a true slider (that just so happens to perform decently as a step as well), then there are several other options available, though they will all require removal of the Rubi rails.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Need is a strong word, but I want them both. I am still learning as this is my first jeep, but didn't buy a Rubicon just to drive street. We have a decent spot to wheel here in NC called Uharrie, which has trails of all skill levels, and then Morgantown has a long trail in the foothills of the appalachians. I've been out twice so far since I just got my jeep, and will be trying harder trails once comfortable. It's becoming more than a hobby now, it's an obsession. I'm a 46 year old man who spends half his day searching for possible mod ideas through chat and web sites. Never saw this coming. May need some advice on installs if I get a little too ambitious!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To better answer your question I want the off road capability of the rails along with decent steps without sacrificing off road capability. My intent is to wheel as much as I have the time for, and to learn as much as I can from those with experience. Everyone has said my OEM steps are useless for off road and break very easily. Figured if I could add something like the Barricade to the rails I could kill 2 birds with one stone.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Need is a strong word, but I want them both. I am still learning as this is my first jeep, but didn't buy a Rubicon just to drive street. We have a decent spot to wheel here in NC called Uharrie, which has trails of all skill levels, and then Morgantown has a long trail in the foothills of the appalachians. I've been out twice so far since I just got my jeep, and will be trying harder trails once comfortable. It's becoming more than a hobby now, it's an obsession. I'm a 46 year old man who spends half his day searching for possible mod ideas through chat and web sites. Never saw this coming. May need some advice on installs if I get a little too ambitious!
I'm in NC as well (Burlington, which is about 20 minutes east of Greensboro) and have hit Uwharrie a couple times in my previous JKU. If you are planning to run trails such as Daniel, I would certainly recommend a good slider.

As for the trail in Morgantown, I'll have to look that up.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not too far from you in Charlotte. I just bit the bullet and ordered the Barricade, figured it would suit my needs best. Place to wheel in Morganton is up I40 past Hickory. Maybe we can meet up one day. Thanks again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's how it turned out, loving it. Thanks again to my Jeep forum friends, you guys (and ladies) are the best! Great recommendation!

Attachments

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,886 Posts
My QT Armor Rails arrived today. Took about 1 hour start to finish on the install. Hardest part was holding them in place to get a couple of screws started, otherwise easy install. Nice steps on the top end and solid rock armor sliders underneath. You have some good options whatever you decide to go with.
Looks good. Glad the Quadratec logo is not on the rail like others I have seen.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
The ones I have in the design stage will bolt dirrectly to the bottom plate of the existing Rubicon rails. Go from bottom of front factory flare to the front of the rear one and stick out just inside the flares with a 1 inch bent lip down and in. A tab bent up at the front and rear flares to stop the mud. Should provide very good side and mud protection along with a step. Have not decided on type of material yet but at this time leaning toward 3/16 alu for weight and ease of fab. Smashed hard on a rock it will probebly bend will still protect the body.

My only question is, will a step at the bottom of the Rubicon rail really help getting in and out or just get in the way.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can only speak for the Barricade's I just put on. I have had the factory step. The Barricade sticks out far enough past the Rubi rail to serve as an adequate step. Not quite as wide as just the OEM steps, but just enough to work fine. Would assume others would be similar. I like the look of the Rubi rail covering up the seam. GL!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To be specific, the Barricade's have 3 1/4 inch on low end to 3 1/2 on high end of clearance (width) beyond the stock Rubi Rails. Just measured.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looks good. Glad the Quadratec logo is not on the rail like others I have seen.
The QT logos were barely stuck on there and just popped right off. I am very pleased with the overall look and function. By removing the Rubicon Rails, based on the taper of the body, it does allow for more space to step on as well. I have to get my mom in and out a couple of times a week and it works well for her. She's like 4'11" and the Grabars certainly help as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts