Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put my 2015 JKUS in 4 hi today to drive to he store. We have ice and snow here today. I noticed that when I turn (in very slow speed, like out of the driveway or into a parking space) it feels like the front is skipping or slipping, although there was no ice or snow in those particular areas. Any ideas? Is this normal, or was I not doing something properly. I have 5" offset rims and 275-65-18 KO2's.
Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
@Kingpaul, that is normal, assuming you are making tight turns. I noticed it too. It has something to do with the 4WD system and wheels turning (its explained in many threads). I often switch to 2WD when making tight turns (like into garage or parking space) to avoid it. not likely you will need 4WD for that and its easy since you can be moving to switch.
use 4wd in snow or lots of rain. avoid dry pavement is what I have been told and read.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
What is happening is because you are turning, your front end tires are trying to turn at a different speed than the rear tires. 4wd and AWD are very different, our front and rear axles are directly linked and are only able to turn at the same speed.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Jeeps have manual transfer cases so you should only ever use 4 wheel on loose traction where absolutely necessary and your tires can spin because they are trying to turn at different speeds. Basically 4 wheel on dry or remotely dry pavement is a big no no and you will break something if you keep doing that.

·
Registered
404 Posts
@Kingpaul, that is normal, assuming you are making tight turns...I often switch to 2WD when making tight turns (like into garage or parking space) to avoid it...and its easy since you can be moving to switch.
use 4wd in snow or lots of rain. avoid dry pavement is what I have been told and read.
That is referred to as "bump steer" from what I am told.

I too switch between 4Hi and 2WD on and off when I am driving on mixed road surfaces like ice/snow, then onto dry-ish or just barely wet pavement. It's not that much of a chore. And also, like this quoted post mentions, when making tight turns into the driveway, a parking space, etc. That jerking feeling of the steering wheel seems like something is about to break and I don't like it one bit.

What is happening is because you are turning, your front end tires are trying to turn at a different speed than the rear tires. 4wd and AWD are very different, our front and rear axles are directly linked and are only able to turn at the same speed.
+1 What Tweak said ;-)

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
That is referred to as "bump steer" from what I am told. I too switch between 4Hi and 2WD on and off when I am driving on mixed road surfaces like ice/snow, then onto dry-ish or just barely wet pavement. It's not that much of a chore. And also, like this quoted post mentions, when making tight turns into the driveway, a parking space, etc. That jerking feeling of the steering wheel seems like something is about to break and I don't like it one bit. +1 What Tweak said ;-)
That is not bump steer, that is the front axles/joints binding. Bump steer is hitting a bump at speed and your steering wheel jerking, which is caused by improper steering geometry. And while that binding is normal in dry surfaces it is not healthy for your drivetrain. And yes tweak is very knowledgable about jeeps and 4wd. Also, mentioned above using 4x4 in heavy rain is not going to help, probably makes it unsafe as your steering is not operating smoothly and will be real bad in a hydroplane situation in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Normal YES !!

The Transfer case has NO differential. Front and rear axles MUST travel the same distance or something has to slide, skid, hop to relieve the bind in the driveline. So when you turn and the rear axles turns a smaller radius than the front... it wants to push the front axle.

Will you break something driving on dry pavement in 4WD... NO !! The steering might not go where you point it. The tires WILL hop and SKID but Jeeps 4WD systems will not break in a parking lot. 4WD in a parking lot is a lot less stressful than 4WD on slick rock or granite.

The worst thing about 4WD on dry pavement is the steering, because the with rear axle pushing, the steering will not be "predictable". The Jeep will try to go in a straight line.... not good pulling into a narrow parking stall.

The only thing which gets extra wear with 4WD on dry pavement are the tires which skid and scuff off some rubber. The 4WD parts will not even notice the wee bit of extra stress.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Will you break something driving on dry pavement in 4WD... NO !! The steering might not go where you point it. The tires WILL hop and SKID but Jeeps 4WD systems will not break in a parking lot. 4WD in a parking lot is a lot less stressful than 4WD on slick rock or granite.
Dude we go through this in every thread on this topic lol.

Yes you can! I have absolutely seen it happen on 2 different occasions! One driveshaft and one split transfercase.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Dude we go through this in every thread on this topic lol. Yes you can! I have absolutely seen it happen on 2 different occasions! One driveshaft and one split transfercase.
Hahaha sounds like you two have had this discussion a few too many times.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Hahaha sounds like you two have had this discussion a few too many times.
Yes we have, It pisses me off when people give out potentially dangerous information based on an uninformed opinion.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Well regardless of who's right here, I'd play it safe. I've heard many times that stuff can break, and I'd rather not find out.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Some of these replies are just pathetic. The Wrangler 4WD system is basically similar to every part time 4wd system used for decades. This is NOT all wheel drive. People should understand the difference BEFORE they buy the vehicle.

It should not be engaged on road, mostly due to added wear and tear and the binding many post about.

It's not going to instantly explode if you do engage in road.

It CAN cause damage if engaged in road. Likely due to a combination of traction, momentum and stupidly powering through the binding.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Dude we go through this in every thread on this topic lol.

Yes you can! I have absolutely seen it happen on 2 different occasions! One driveshaft and one split transfercase.
Dude I've been driving old Jeeps for 40 years never broken parts driving across a parking lot, or highway. If you broke it???? You might want driving lessons or do some preventative maintenance.

Freaking scare mongers everywhere. sheesh.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
It should not be engaged on road, mostly due to added wear and tear and the binding many post about.

It's not going to instantly explode if you do engage in road.

It CAN cause damage if engaged in road. Likely due to a combination of traction, momentum and stupidly powering through the binding.
THIS ^^^^ exactly !!!!

·
Premium Member
7,481 Posts
Here is the exact wording taken out of the Wrangler owners manual as far as using 4H or 4L on the roads. Do NOT do it, people!!!

Driving in the 4H and 4L positions on hardsurfaced
roads will cause increased tire wear and damage
to the driveline components.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Put my 2015 JKUS in 4 hi today to drive to he store. We have ice and snow here today. I noticed that when I turn (in very slow speed, like out of the driveway or into a parking space) it feels like the front is skipping or slipping, although there was no ice or snow in those particular areas. Any ideas? Is this normal, or was I not doing something properly. I have 5" offset rims and 275-65-18 KO2's.
Thanks.
it is the fact that there is only one universal joint on each axle, the angular velocity variation from the joint when the steering wheel is turned:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmV4qwLfOMY

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Driving in the 4H and 4L positions on hardsurfaced
roads will cause increased tire wear and damage
to the driveline components.

Here is the exact wording taken out of the Wrangler owners manual as far as using 4H or 4L on the roads. Do NOT do it, people!!!
True. But it's in the general text, it's not in a warning box and it's not even in bold type. - there are plenty of CYA statements in that manual.

The problem is these threads lead to people thinking they ruined their jeep by pulling the lever back in the street. That is just NOT the case.

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Put my 2015 JKUS in 4 hi today to drive to he store. We have ice and snow here today. I noticed that when I turn (in very slow speed, like out of the driveway or into a parking space) it feels like the front is skipping or slipping, although there was no ice or snow in those particular areas. Any ideas? Is this normal, or was I not doing something properly. I have 5" offset rims and 275-65-18 KO2's. Thanks.
That is normal and as long as you're not driving in circles on pavement your not gonna damage anything! The inside tire is turning faster than the outside tire and because you're in 4wd it's skipping on the pavement. Do NOT be afraid to use 4wd if the conditions warrant and don't worry about scattered slippery spots the rolling resistance is minimal at typical road speeds. When I'm rock crawling, aired down to 5psi, in 4wd and LOCKED the rolling resistance is far higher because I'm crawling and my jeep has never imploded or exploded! If the 4wd system was truly that fragile would we use them to off road...would you buy them? Chrysler is covering their butts because idiots do stupid stuff then expect the warranty to cover it. If you and your family feel safer with Jeep in 4wd when the conditions warrant then by all means USE IT!!!

If you're traveling 30mph that's 44feet per second!!! by the time you see dry pavement, acknowledge it, shift out of 4wd, then see snow and ice and try and shift back you've probably already lost control. If you're doing 55mph you're traveling 80.6 FPS!!! Focus on driving not shifting in and out of 4wd!!!

Don't use 4H if you can see pavement, especially when turning - you can break something.
It's blanket statements like this that create this "sky is falling mentally" and make people afraid to use the 4wd when they really should be using it! And people can get hurt because of an Unfounded fear of damaging the 4wd system.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts