Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Jeep world so please don't lose patience with me, I'm looking for advice from real/honest/experienced people. I was at a local 4x4 mod shop (Desert Rat) and the sales guy told me that AEV lifts are the best lift out there to prevent the death wobble. He told me that lifts change the geometry of the front diff. He told me that the AEV lift is specifically designed for the JK's and is the safest way to go. The AEV's are pretty expensive and I am wondering if this guy is just trying to make an extra buck????

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
A properly maintained suspension prevents death wobble. Any lift installed could cause death wobble if not installed correctly or maintained properly. AEV are good lifts, but there are others that are just as good or better. A lot of death wobble issues are caused by front track bar and AEV uses your factory track bar, so that doesn't really jive with his claim that they are designed to prevent it with their lift. There are a lot of lift threads and death wobble threads on here that will give you a lot of info. Welcome and have fun with your Jeep. Just do plenty of research.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
Right, lifting really has nothing to do with the root cause of DW.

AEV uses geometry correction brackets to set caster up front. RANCHO, RC, RE, TNT all make a geometry correction bracket, and can be added along with any lift.

To say is "the best" is based on personal opinion and more importantly, how the jeep is used.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Although AEV lifts are one of the top quality lift kits they don't necessarily have a special feature that avoids DW. DW is caused by loose suspension and/or steering joints. Llifts and big tires place additional stress on both of these systems and the bigger the lift and tires the larger the stress. A common cause is improper reassembly of the suspension after installation. Even some shops are guilty of this.

If you are most concerned with DW then:

1. Go with a moderate lift kit under 3"

2. Make sure the suspension links are properly torqued and have no binding which later leads to a loose joint

3. Keep you tires well balanced

4. Regularly inspect the front end joints for play

5. Preferably stay with tires under 35"

There is nothing wrong with a big Jeep as long as you understand it takes requires more maintenance and will required additional mods and part replacements along the way.

·
Registered
370 Posts
My .2cents

Hey there fellow Jeeper-I'm no expert but if you do intend to drive your jeep on the road for long trips and don't want just a lift for the fact of being bigger and badder than the next guy....
Do the AEV lift it!!!! It's engineered to perform and don't listen to the talking heads that say it's over priced,you do it ONCE and so it right! I have the 2.5 AEV and added the geometry correction brackets as well- I have been on two over two thousand mile road trips in the past year and a half both were awesome and the jeep handles and corners and looks kick ass to boot!!! Just sayin!:iamhappy:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My intent to have a lift height of 2.5" max and not to go above 33" tires. As always you guys give out great advice
Thank YOU!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just had the A E V 3.5" DS lift kit installed with the High steer kit. Pricey? YES! Worth it? So far so good. I have only had it a couple of weeks with one mild off road day. I do have some long "highway" trips coming up which was my main reason for going with the AEV. Desert Rat in Tucson did the install and I could not be happier. Tracks straight ( if you can find a smooth straight road in Tucson to let go of the steering wheel for a bit) and will a bit stiffer,still rides very nice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts