Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JKU is an overlander. WHich means sometimes I go long distances on highways. It also means it's heavy. The bumpers, winch, rack, and tent, plus camping gear are adding 500-700lbs.

I have not installed a lift kit yet, though I'd like to at some point, because getting some extra clearance would be nice. However, a lift kit while I"m carting my roof top tent is not a good combination on the highway. Too top-heavy.

I've seen a couple articles on using airbags / adjustable lifts, but haven't heard much feedback from Jeepsters on them. Is this something that I should look at? I'd sure like to have my suspension settled down for a couple hours on the highway, then be able to add more suspension travel when I'm finally on teh trail.

THoughts?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
If you don’t go too tall, I’d think the top-heavy thing won’t be any real issue, at least not more-so than it is now.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Interesting idea. I had a Continental with rear air springs so this does intrigue me. I think that they wouldn't be good for off roading though. I'm not sure they would be good for a lot of down travel like a coil spring and if you had failure you wouldn't have any support at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you don’t go too tall, I’d think the top-heavy thing won’t be any real issue, at least not more-so than it is now.
I'm definitely feeling hte extra weight / high weight already. I'm iust worried if I put in another 1.5" of lift (i'm not a big lift nut... i just like the extra clearance and the slightly more aggressive look) ... i worry it'll get unmanageably wobbly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I put airbags inside the rear coils of my street/strip car to have a more comfortable ride on the road but to stiffen them up and reduce the rear squat while launching on the track. Worked great!!

I ran the air lines to the license plate and used the valves caps to hold the license plate on.

I think they would work fine for your setup. It's a relatively inexpensive experiment.

I'll see if I have a photo and update.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I use airlift 1000 in coil air bags for the same reason.
when loaded I run 25 psi on the bags. That eliminates sag and firms up the ride. I also have ranch 9000 adjustable shocks. I put them on 8 when loaded.
During the summer I run topless. Drop psi to 5 and shocks to 2. Rides like a champ. Love the air bags.
I paid less then 100 bucks off Amazon.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm running airlift 1000s on my JK pickup.

The worked great except a few little things.

1) rocks would get into the upper coil buckets and caused the spacer above the bag to sit crooked and split. I sent a message to airlift in July and never got a response

2) I had my first major leak recently. I was airing up to haul a pretty decent load and some let loose, haven't crawled under it yet.

I ran 5-8psi empty and 25-30 loaded with fox 2.0 ipf shocks. Truck empty is 5300 (2800 on the rear) and loaded I have been in the high 6k range (not proud, but it happens)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I'm running airlift 1000s on my JK pickup.

The worked great except a few little things.

1) rocks would get into the upper coil buckets and caused the spacer above the bag to sit crooked and split. I sent a message to airlift in July and never got a response

2) I had my first major leak recently. I was airing up to haul a pretty decent load and some let loose, haven't crawled under it yet.

I ran 5-8psi empty and 25-30 loaded with fox 2.0 ipf shocks. Truck empty is 5300 (2800 on the rear) and loaded I have been in the high 6k range (not proud, but it happens)
Just got under to take a look. The spacers that were cracked are both gone and the nipple is off the right bag.

picture from today and July 4th
16007287441695884403920569400987.jpg IMG_20200704_154211.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts