Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install a "Drill-in" retaining channel ( 51210-01 ) on the Windshield to use a Bikini Top, and I have the OEM Hard Top which I want to continue using, will the Drill-In Channel later be on the way for a good seal on the Hard Top, will it be on the way so the front lip of the Hard Top does not seal anymore ?
Will like to know before I order it.
I like the simplicity of the drill-in type, which I had on my CJ`s.
Anticipated thanks to all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I put one on my 99 tj and had to cut parts of the channel thing off so the hard top could clamp down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Not sure if there's a way to install the channel to where you could use both the bikini and the hard top, but I've had to take my channel off every time I want to use the hard top. The hard top clamps can't attach with the channel in the way.

For me it's not been an issue. Hard top is on for winter and then spring through fall I keep the hardware for the bikini top in place unless like a week of torrential downpour is headed my way.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,824 Posts
The drill style header can definitely remain in place with the hard top on, I did it with mine. You may have to do a very small amount of grinding on the header pieces for the hard top latches to clear but as was said, it's strictly minor. Just touch them up with a little satin black Rustoleum afterward.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Just an additional push for the drill-in header...

I have run that setup one all three of my TJs; the first one also having a hard top. With a little grinding/trimming, hard and soft tops clamp down just like normal.

I'll never understand why people would want the bikini/safari tops that use a bolt-on header...it's so much easier and faster to just slip this style on.
On top of that, since you don't have to carry a header around, you can fold/roll the bikini top up and store it in the Jeep in case of a random rain when you don't have any other top.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.