Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I'm just about to finish up re-gearing my dana 30 with an ox locker and I had a few questions about carrier preload.

How tight should it be? I've read everything from between just using a pry bar and being able to hammer it in with a dead-blow hammer to needing a case spreader.

My backlash is correct (at .07, checked at about 8 points), the carrier had zero play side-to-side so I added .03 to each side. I had to use a pry bar and the deadblow, it took just a few solid whacks to get it to seat.

I've also read that after the carrrier install, my pinion preload should jump up 7-11 in/lbs. Is this true? I checked it and it didn't really change, stays at 20 in/lbs.

Basically wondering if my carrier preload is ok or should i consider trying to fit more in there?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
My backlash is correct (at .07, checked at about 8 points), the carrier had zero play side-to-side so I added .03 to each side. I had to use a pry bar and the deadblow, it took just a few solid whacks to get it to seat.
This is the way i did mine and i never had any problems. I was originally going to buy the case spreader and do it by the book but after talking to a old timer that was NOT a bubba. He told me to set backlash with no sided to side play in the carrier than add some more shim to each side. Then check backlash again and make sure it did not change. Then smack it in with a dead blow hammer and it should go in after a few solid whacks. If it dont want to go in then you know it is to tight.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright, great! I'll stick with it as is then. Thanks for the help.

Time to throw it all back together and get through the break-in period.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
This is the way i did mine and i never had any problems. I was originally going to buy the case spreader and do it by the book but after talking to a old timer that was NOT a bubba. He told me to set backlash with no sided to side play in the carrier than add some more shim to each side. Then check backlash again and make sure it did not change. Then smack it in with a dead blow hammer and it should go in after a few solid whacks. If it dont want to go in then you know it is to tight.
Luckily this can work for dana axle especially a one off install unless you need the shims on the outside of the bearings like with an ARB install. Setup bearings and a case spreader make things much easier if you have them but this sounds like it will work in a pinch.

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
Luckily this can work for dana axle especially a one off install unless you need the shims on the outside of the bearings like with an ARB install. Setup bearings and a case spreader make things much easier if you have them but this sounds like it will work in a pinch.

I did my D35 with shims on the outside like this it worked fine for 60k+ miles. Now the axles are in a friends jeep and are still going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts