Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pics of the stock sub woofer that is located in the center console? I want to see how the set up is. BTW, I have a 2004 Rubicon. Last night I dropped my I-Pod and it fell inside the little opening where the hand brake is located. I had to remove the whole thing and noticed there was no speaker in there....the PO must have removed it and replaced it with a Honda air filter....Without the filter, it all just looks like an empty shell. Can't seem to figure out how the sub woofer fits in there...Thanks in advance!!

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
A Honda air filter??? You mean for the air in the cabin? Sorry. Just curious now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Honda air filter??? You mean for the air in the cabin? Sorry. Just curious now.
Ha ha! Trust me, I was thinking the same thing when I saw the filter. I'm assuming s/he put it there to keep dust/debris or whatever out of the center console where the hand brake is located. You know how there's an opening facing the driver by where you connect the seat belt (for the speaker)? Well that's where the filter was.....or is. I left it there.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
All center console have the grille opening even if not equiped with the sub. If you have a deep, center console inside, yours did not come with a sub. The sub equipped console has a shallow insert.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All center console have the grille opening even if not equiped with the sub. If you have a deep, center console inside, yours did not come with a sub. The sub equipped console has a shallow insert.
Damn....well that sux. So even though the connector is there its still possible mine didn't come with one?

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
Either way....I have one, but the sound is subpar. Not bad enough for me to replace it, but if I was going to do it I would do it right. Do a search and check out the previous posts in here...I bet you find something that is really economical to do and sounds alot better.:wavey:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Agreed with Bruck. I replaced the (blown) console speaker in my '03 Sport with a cheap aftermarket speaker - and I blew that one in a few months, so I upgraded to a much better speaker.

Do you have the wiring harness that runs from the head unit to the console speaker? If you're dead-set on getting a console speaker in there, you might want to try to find a console w/ speaker at a junk yard and then replacing the speaker itself. When I blew my factory console speaker, I searched for a factory replacement - which you can only get in the factory housing that slips into the console itself....that whole assembly is really unreasonably priced ($200+) for a factory speaker that's about as thick as a coffee filter.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Damn....well that sux. So even though the connector is there its still possible mine didn't come with one?
If there is a connector, there was a sub. On non sub equiped vehicles, there is no connector.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Mine didn't come with a console. So I just bought a .40mm ammo box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts