Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wandering on how long it would take me to take apart my dash and clean all connections then put it back in. Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Are you talking just the gauge cluster? Volts, fuel, temp, oil? If so about an hour or two. You just pull the panel that covers those gauges, heater controls & stereo. Be sure to disconnect the battery before starting work.

·
Registered
742 Posts
One of the best first things you will ever do. All of the gauges will probably work perfectly after you clean the board. But, if its too far gone don't hesitate to replace the board. That's what worked for me and I'm pleased I did. Everything works including my 26 year old clock.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you talking just the gauge cluster? Volts, fuel, temp, oil? If so about an hour or two. You just pull the panel that covers those gauges, heater controls & stereo. Be sure to disconnect the battery before starting work.
Yes. Is there a guide on here for that. Or is it fairly easy? And my gas gauge is always passed full, except when it is close to running out of gas. Do you think it is just the connections? My dad said it could be the fuel pickup but I was going to try and clean connections before I dropped the tank.( thought it would be easier and less expensive). And my oil is always passed 80. But my other gauges work, more or less.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Yes. Is there a guide on here for that. Or is it fairly easy? And my gas gauge is always passed full, except when it is close to running out of gas. Do you think it is just the connections? My dad said it could be the fuel pickup but I was going to try and clean connections before I dropped the tank.( thought it would be easier and less expensive). And my oil is always passed 80. But my other gauges work, more or less.
I would try that first..it will probably fix your oil gauge but your dad might be right on the fuel. as you say,I would try it before dropping the tank

·
RUBISEAN
464 Posts
ok here is how i made all my gauges work like new. (temp.,gas,clock, oil pressure, volts)
remove the gauge cluster, then remove the lugs that hold each gauge from the back of the housing. i used a small rotary tool with a small wire wheel attached, i then carefully cleaned the two posts of each lug(you will see what i mean once you remove the lugs). also clean any copper surface that the lug comes in contact with, for good measure go ahead and remove the bulbs and wire wheel the contact areas on the circuit board too. i promise once you take the cluster out this will all make sense. while you are at it replace all the 194 bulbs too, add dielectric grease to all electrical connections and also make sure you clean any corrosion from the main harness and where it connects to the gauge cluster.
one final tip, when you remove the small nut that holds the lug on the back of the gauge you may need a small flat screwdriver to gently pry the lug loose

·
Registered
742 Posts
Although there are threads explaining the correct procedure, Mcseang just laid it out to you in perfect detail. I would council for you to inspect the copper 'paths' (for lack of a better term) for any breaks or cracks. Some of our rides have been out in the elements for a long long time and sometimes these circuit boards are beyond simple cleaning. I think all of us would agree the end result is worth the effort. And Mcseang's advice regarding replacing the #194 dash bulbs (mine had ten) at the same time is good advice. Great LED's available on eBay for short money.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok here is how i made all my gauges work like new. (temp.,gas,clock, oil pressure, volts)
remove the gauge cluster, then remove the lugs that hold each gauge from the back of the housing. i used a small rotary tool with a small wire wheel attached, i then carefully cleaned the two posts of each lug(you will see what i mean once you remove the lugs). also clean any copper surface that the lug comes in contact with, for good measure go ahead and remove the bulbs and wire wheel the contact areas on the circuit board too. i promise once you take the cluster out this will all make sense. while you are at it replace all the 194 bulbs too, add dielectric grease to all electrical connections and also make sure you clean any corrosion from the main harness and where it connects to the gauge cluster.
one final tip, when you remove the small nut that holds the lug on the back of the gauge you may need a small flat screwdriver to gently pry the lug loose
Sweet. I'll try Sunday. Should I make a thread with pics to help future people?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Please do! I took my dash apart a while ago and I'm not sure I remember where everything goes :banghead: It looks pretty straight forward but I'm not sure about the heater controls. Any pics of the top of the heater control before you disconnect it would be appreciated!

·
Registered
742 Posts
When you are in there consider replacing the #194 (I think) dash bulbs. I had ten and its all open anyway. Just remember to check the functionality of everything BEFORE you button it up. I ended up doing mine a bunch of times:banghead:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts