Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed slight rust on the inside, bottoms of my doors, at the seams. It's very slight, and know I need to sand down, and deal with it. But what do u suggest for the inside of the door? Should I spray fluid film in there, thru the weep holes, or should I spray a rust inhibitor first, let dry, then fluid film?

(I know people will say it will come back, ect... I understand that, but for now, I plan to sand down, rust inhibitor, then paint. But not sure about inside.)

·
Registered
257 Posts
That sounds like a very good option to me. Fluid film will almost stop the rust. If nothing else, it buys you a lot of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can get by with just the fluid film if you need a quick cover. If you can take the tome to grind and sand, then use POR or other products line it. It’s all about how much time you have.

I just fluid filmed my sons Mazda 3 doglegs to keep the rust from getting worse. It has done a phenomenal job of greatly slowing that rust down.

We don’t have the time or desire to fix it right and the Fluid Film has been a good option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Your wasting your time. Mine had the exact same issue. At the factory they chalked the seams. Fast forward to today and it is holding moisture. I will eventually swell out and start bubbling out side. You need to take a small grinding stone and a drill and grind out what you can and paint. Probably wont completely stop it, but will slow it down quite a bit.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
i use the 360* nozzle n extension and put it inside the doors and up into every hole that's hard to reach into.
the tiny 30" x 1/8" tube n nozzle fits into the door easy and down into the frame as well as the body mount channel and way up into the rear end alcoves near the evap and filler tube.
think i used up 3 cans on mine last yr....this yr i bought a gallon (40$), a gun for my compressor (15$) and a cheap plastic bottle from lowes (2$).
clean the rust , prime and repaint, use fluid film for areas you cannot get into.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I noticed slight rust on the inside, bottoms of my doors, at the seams. It's very slight, and know I need to sand down, and deal with it. But what do u suggest for the inside of the door? Should I spray fluid film in there, thru the weep holes, or should I spray a rust inhibitor first, let dry, then fluid film?

(I know people will say it will come back, ect... I understand that, but for now, I plan to sand down, rust inhibitor, then paint. But not sure about inside.)
Rust inhibitor works well. You can get some good stuff at harbour freight for $5 believe it or not.

I would do the rust inhibitor followed by touch up paint and then get the Jeep oil sprayed. Get yourself a can of fluid film like you suggest or other rust preventative oil and make sure you pay attention to that area that you had a problem with so that you can insure it does not come back.

Also, if you haven't looked into it yet, I would suggest doing rust prevention steps to your frame so that you can stay on top of the rust that likes to eat these frames away as well.

If you do it properly and then maintain it you can really combat the rust that develops on these things. Especialyl if you are in the salt belt areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts