Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried using the search feature. Which was only somewhat helpful . . I'm starting to get some frame rust, nothing too seriously but I wanna sand it down and paint/prime it asap. Anyone have any recommendations for a good paint / primer?? Also how can I tell if I'm getting Rust inside the frame rails ?? And if I am. How the heck do I fix that.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Not sure if I can be much help but I used the same paint the DOT uses on their trucks ( can't remember the name), Then I take a mix of used motor oil and diesel fuel and soak the entire frame with it. New York loves to salt the roads to heck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually found a rustoleum I've never seen It supposedly stops and prevents any further rust and can be used directly over rust. I bought 1 can just to check it out. Another problem is that I do have some rust inside the frame. I found a company called eastwood that has a aerosol can with a 24" plastic tube to actually pipe into the frame. Anyone have any experience with it???

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
I have used the Eastwood product and I like it very much. Took 2 cans per side of frame. Make sure you clean the frame out real well first. I used compressed air along with my shop vac and also used a magnet on an extendable shaft.

The Eastwood product with the 24" nozzle extenders allow you to get the entire inside of the frame coated. Try to not let the nozzle drag along the bottom of the frame rail while you are spraying. You will see what I mean when you start to use it. If you can keep the nozzle suspended in the center of the frame you will get much better coverage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts