Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 2006 Jeep Wrangler 75th anniversary edition and its been nothing but trouble since I got it. I have a couple questions regarding an upcoming needed repair.

Let me preface this by saying I know next to nothing about mechanical work
and I am kind of learning as I go with this process.

I recently found out from a mechanic that I need to replace my front control
arms. I had been getting a loud banging sound when in reverse while braking
and turning my wheel at the same time for example: backing out of a parking spots. I also have been getting banging/grinding sounds from the front end when I go over bumps. He did a temporary fix by greasing up the control arms to stop the sound from braking(but did not stop the sound over bumps which seems to be getting worse) but said they need to be replaced if the sound doesn't return. I'm guessing the logic is that it's definitely the control arms if greasing it stopped it. He never stated specifically which control arms he greased but from I've read it's likely the front lower causing the sounds.

I was quoted by a different mechanic $225 for labor if I supply both the
upper and lower front control arms, as long as the ball joints don't need to
be replaced as well. Which from what I understand is a decent price.

I have a couple questions can the control arms be replaced without replacing
the ball joints? My jeep is completely stock and I am pretty unclear on how
any of this works.If they don't have to be replaced can anyone recommend
some upper and lower control arms from Amazon?(trying to use Amazon gift cards to buy them to save even more) I have no intentions on ever modding my Wrangler with anything or offroading so I'm just looking for some dependable parts that aren't crazy expensive. Also just having a hard time finding what would work, for example I can't determine which ones already have bushings or if I'll need additional parts.

Like I said I'm pretty much stupid when it comes to things like this sorry.
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The ball joints have nothing to do with the control arms. You can get stock control arms on rock auto for about 20 an arm.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Amazon has control arms. I would get the arms with the bushings already installed. Changing the control arms is not a difficult job. installing the bushings in the control arms is the pits. The arms can be replaced with just hand tools. several write-ups and youtube videos. check out the videos and you may want to do this job yourself. take your time and good luck. as far as ball joints, there are videos on how to check them and how to replace. good to watch them also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Tingling, good advice already. I'd lean toward picking up the tools if you don't have them and do it myself especially if money was a concern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts