Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my yj for about two months now, and i'm starting to wonder if a certain behavior is normal or not. The jeep is stock except for a dana 44 in the rear with a lunchbox locker and 31" mt tires.

When driving on trails, if i spin the rear wheels by hitting the gas pedal in 1st i feel like the whole jeep is shaking, even when i do it on sand. On the other hand in the mud it's perfectly smooth and the jeep doesn't shake at all.

Is this normal behavior? Or is something wrong? Other than that, the jeep is fine, there's no sounds or anything other than the locker when turning.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Sounds like you may be describing wheel hop but you need to do more work to determine what is actually happening... jeep shaking doesn't tell us much.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
If its shaking real bad are you sure you have the same diff gear ratio front and back? Mine had different gears when I bought it and acted same way first time I took it out. I stopped using 4wd immediately until I re-geared.

Reactions: agalloch07

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
If its shaking real bad are you sure you have the same diff gear ratio front and back? Mine had different gears when I bought it and acted same way first time I took it out. I stopped using 4wd immediately until I re-geared.

I would have never thought of this good call.

The bad thing about buying someone else's project is you never know what bubba has done and bubba usually does a hack job

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
I would have never thought of this good call.

The bad thing about buying someone else's project is you never know what bubba has done and bubba usually does a hack job
I had 4.10 in the rear, and 3.73 up front. My guess is that the PO got his hands on a 4.10 rear for roadway driving and never finished the front. Since OP stated this was his first time in 4wd, makes me think gear ratios...

Borab do not continue to run it like that if that's the case, you will damage your TC. You can google "how to check your gear ratio on youtube and find quite a few vids on how to check it without opening up the diffs using the tape the wheel and count the turns on the yoke method.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts