Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I upgraded my 2013 16 inch stock sport rims and tires to 17 inch rubicon rims and tires. I bought a flashcal to go in and adjust for the new tire size. It made a huge difference after I did it but I still notice a little rough shifting hear and there and weird feeling down shifts, it's an automatic by the way. Now does anyone have any experience with this and if so should I go in and adjust the shift ratio and if So to what. It suppose to adjust automatically when you enter the tire size which I did 30 inches. Also it's suppose to let me turn on and off the tpms system but I do not see the option to do it. I did the update for it ect. Until I get funds to get new ones put in these tires I will keep the system off and check my tires more then I already do. Thanks

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
The new 5 speed automatics are what is called a learning transmission. It adjusts the shift points to your driving style. But it will take several miles of driving for the re-learning process.
But first, remove both you positive and negative battery cables. Then hold the ends together for about 30 seconds, now re-install. Your trans will now be back into the learning mode.

It may take a while, but it should re-program the shifting points on it's own!!!!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new 5 speed automatics are what is called a learning transmission. It adjusts the shift points to your driving style. But it will take several miles of driving for the re-learning process. But first, remove both you positive and negative battery cables. Then hold the ends together for about 30 seconds, now re-install. Your trans will now be back into the learning mode. It may take a while, but it should re-program the shifting points on it's own!!!!!!!
seem so unsafe holding the positive and negative of better cable together is that what you mean?

·
Registered
158 Posts
It suppose to adjust automatically when you enter the tire size which I did 30 inches.
I don't have a Rubicon, but aren't Rubicon wheels and tires factory size: 255/75/17 which is 32"? If you put in 30" for the tire/wheel size and they are 32", that could be the problem.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I don't have a Rubicon, but aren't Rubicon wheels and tires factory size: 255/75/17 which is 32"? If you put in 30" for the tire/wheel size and they are 32", that could be the problem.
They should be around 32. I think the procal instructions tell you to measure the tire with a yard stick and use that value.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They should be around 32. I think the procal instructions tell you to measure the tire with a yard stick and use that value.
I used 32 at first but still felt weird. I did what the instructions said to do and it measured right at 30 inches in multiple different places, top to bottom left to right. When I put 30 in it feels much better but it still shifts a little weird nothing like what it was doing when I put 32 inches in. The speedometer is more spot on when it's at 30 as well. I can adjust the shift points in the transmission but I would have no idea what to adjust it too, don't want to mess anything up. Please help if theirs anything I can do.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
What PSI do you have in your tires? Make sure it's level and measure from the ground to the center of the hub and multiply by 2 and that's your height.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What PSI do you have in your tires? Make sure it's level and measure from the ground to the center of the hub and multiply by 2 and that's your height.
I have 35 lbs in all four tires. I measured the whole length of the tire and rim. From where the tread touches the ground to the other end and it was 30 inches multiple different ways I did it. I made sure to double check all 4 tires prior to doing it. My tpms is stuck on though so I'm going to turn it off until I get some installed and just check my tires more then I already do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts