Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my jeep for a while now and have gotten the mod bug just like we all have. My only problem is I don't know what to do next. I have a 2010 JKU auto with mtr Kevlar's 275 70-17, a stubby bumper, rock rails, sway bar disconnects,Hi jack and mount, and diff armor. I can't go any bigger on tires because I have a commute of 120 miles 8-10 times every 2 weeks. I'd like to put flat fenders on but I don't know if it would look right with having "smaller" tires. I just trying to figure out where to go next and get some advice on what other people do. Thanks in advance for any advice

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Regearing is changing the differential gear ratio.. typically done when bigger tires are put on in order to compensate for the lost power by adding the larger tires.. it puts the power band back to usable range

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Armadaskier said:
Why regear? Sorry I'm kinda new so I'm just wondering. I only go off roaring a few times a year too if that helps at all
The pre-2012 JKUs come way, way undergeared from the factory in my opinion.

You've got 3.73 gears. If you regeared to 5.13s or just 4.88s, you'd stay in overdrive on the highway, could pass people going uphill, and would probably be able to "chirp" your tires from a stop if you slammed on the gas. You'd also climb inclines better offroad and probably get better "around town" mileage.

It'd basically be like you gave yourself 30 or so more horsepower.

How's that sound?

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Armadaskier said:
ok. Would regearing really be needed since I didn't go to any bigger tire?
Does it feel like you don't have enough power? I've never driven a jk/u so I don't know how the 3.8 feels or is supposed to feel.. I've actually got the 4L w/5 speed in my 92 YJ with 35in tires and 3.73 gears lol.. ideally I should be running 4.56 but I can still scoot.. I wonder how much more power id have with the right gears

·
Registered
288 Posts
Armadaskier said:
I've had my jeep for a while now and have gotten the mod bug just like we all have. My only problem is I don't know what to do next. I have a 2010 JKU auto with mtr Kevlar's 275 70-17, a stubby bumper, rock rails, sway bar disconnects,Hi jack and mount, and diff armor. I can't go any bigger on tires because I have a commute of 120 miles 8-10 times every 2 weeks. I'd like to put flat fenders on but I don't know if it would look right with having "smaller" tires. I just trying to figure out where to go next and get some advice on what other people do. Thanks in advance for any advice
Do you have the superchip ?

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
darkproximity said:
Does it feel like you don't have enough power?
The autos, especially the 4 doors, generally feel a little sluggish. They're throttle by wire too, which doesn't help. And he's added kevlars, which I expect are giving him some extra unsprung weight. His jeep of course, so that's just my two cents. I've got a 6 speed 4 door with rubi wheels/tires and I'm pondering going to 4.56s ahead of getting some 33s.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Armadaskier said:
I dont have a superchip. How much does regearing usually cost?
Superchip would be good too.

Assuming you don't add lockers or LSDs, a regear would probably run about $900 to $1000. Superchip is about $300 IIRC.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
And its one of those things you might as well do when regearing.. add a locker or other type of lsd.. since its all apart its cheaper to put everything in at once..

Also the reason its so expensive is the time it takes to do the regearing.. they have to set the shims which means they have to press on and off the bearings each time to check if they are correct.. plus they have to set the backlash and line up the pinion and ring gear..

·
Banned
3,287 Posts
dont regear. you only have mtr Kevlar's 275 70-17

waste of time and money.

shit i didnt regear with my auto tranny 373's untill i got 37's

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
dont regear. you only have mtr Kevlar's 275 70-17

waste of time and money.

shit i didnt regear with my auto tranny 373's untill i got 37's
Up to him of course, but I totally disagree.

You've no doubt seen this chart. For an auto transmission, 3.73s only put him in the barely, marginally, kinda-sorta adequate range for 32" tires. And don't forget that he's got a 4 door, which is going to be several hundred pounds more than the 2 door.

Even with stock tires, he could regear all the way up to 5.38s ( :eek: ) and only be spinning about 200 more RPMs on the highway than a stock Rubi with a manual transmission.

If I somehow came into possession of an auto 3.8 JKU, a regear and a ProCal or Superchip would absolutely be the first thing I'd do. I'd be on the fence about 5.13s or 5.38s (they make 5.38s for non-Rubi diffs now), but that'd be the only tough part about the decision. I could keep the stock tires for awhile after that if money was tight, and then eventually move to 33s or 35s.

But even with 35s, an auto that's been regeared to 5.38 still spins less RPMs on the highway than a stock manual Rubi. :crazy:

I guess the point is that with an auto, there's no reason to wait to regear. If you've got a manual and want 35s, you might want to wait to regear to 4.88s, since driving with your stock tires on 4.88s would suck. With an auto though, that's not true. Regear until your heart's content and your stockers will be fine until you add new tires. You'll just have a much better ride.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
LOL, the average regear cost any where from 1K to 2K.

talking about a waste of money
M'eh, I just don't see the reason to delay with an auto. All it's going to do is make your Jeep a better performer. So if it were me, I'd do it, not at all feel like I was wasting money, and the OP asked for suggestions. But it's an individual thing, obviously.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I was at the dealer last week attempting to get warranty work done. While waiting I asked to test drive a JKU that the parts department lifted and added 35's to. That thing really was the slowest vehicle I've ever driven, ok.. maybe a moped when I was 14. I went to the parts mgr and told him he needed to regear if he was going to keep throwing 35's on new Wranglers. He said they will regear if somebody asked them to but said that only Jeepers need/want the higher gearing. He didn't see my point that it being so slow, and with the fuel economy it may be difficult to sell. They had the lift and tires on the sticker at $8k. Plenty of markup that they should throw in the regear for free IMO. This thing was showing 12 MPG on the display with about 200 miles on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts