Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 2012 Demo Jeep I'm thinking of buying. I plan on removing the full doors and replace with canvas doors. One question I have is can you still remove doors from a Wrangler that has the Power Convince group. I assume there is a connector that can be removed when you take the door off but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I found a 2012 Demo Jeep I'm thinking of buying. I plan on removing the full doors and replace with canvas doors. One question I have is can you still remove doors from a Wrangler that has the Power Convince group. I assume there is a connector that can be removed when you take the door off but I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks.
You mean Power Convenience? And don't blame it on your phone, or spell check, cuz that's no excuse for being diligent. :)

The doors unplug. No problem.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Don't let the doors swing and hit your cowl.....

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
panthermark said:
Don't let the doors swing and hit your cowl.....
That won't really happen on soft doors unless you install/have mirrors. The doors hit the fenders long before they are near anything else. Ask me how I know. Just add custom limiter straps from rope that you buy from Home Depot etc

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
COStrider said:
That won't really happen unless you install/have mirrors. The doors hit the fenders long before they are near anything else. Ask me how I know. Just add custom limiter straps from rope that you buy from Home Depot etc
What do you mean have mirrors why in gods name wouldn't you have mirrors? Lol

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
That won't really happen unless you install/have mirrors. The doors hit the fenders long before they are near anything else. Ask me how I know. Just add custom limiter straps from rope that you buy from Home Depot etc
Yeah I know....

Just saying that it seems like many a cowl have been "kissed" by (the mirrors on) swinging doors during the removal of them.

It has to be a sick feeling. Brand new vehicle, you remove the doors and dent your cowl. Some type of door limiter is one of the first mods I will add.

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
They have a door limiter there is a strap that stops it or buy cowl covers like I have cause I dented mine within a week due to laziness and not fully putting the doors back on

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
They have a door limiter there is a strap that stops it or buy cowl covers like I have cause I dented mine within a week due to laziness and not fully putting the doors back on
I'm going to dump the stock straps and probably go with these:

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
But they won't stop the doors from hitting the fenders if they are disconnected.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'm going to dump the stock straps and probably go with these:
I had the Armadillos. They were okay, but limited the door swing a little too much for my taste. Plus they make a popping noise every time you open em, and you've gotta oil em regularly. Evenually took em off, because...

But they won't stop the doors from hitting the fenders if they are disconnected.
Blammo!

Yup. Got used to em, and one day at the carwash, fixing to vacuum a buncha crud outta the carpet when they were unhooked...

Well. It's a sad tale. Talk about a case of the redass. Luckily, was able to fix the dent in the cowl so it's not noticeable. Still...:redface:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
How did you fix the dent KB?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
How did you fix the dent KB?
Alas, no skill of mine. Kind've a long story, but basically I got a guy at the local Dent Dr. (or whatever it's called) to fix it for $20. Can't even tell it was there.

Pretty sure I read a post from you in my recent WF travels about fixing a dent yourself. I did a good bit of research on it before I hooked with Dr. Fixit, and it's very much hit or miss. Glad I didn't try to do it myself, after watching him in action. He basically used a couple of tools that looked like elongated dentist's picks, and in the brief time I spent horsing around with his munchkins, made my dent disappear.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Farnham21 said:
What do you mean have mirrors why in gods name wouldn't you have mirrors? Lol
Soft doors don't come with mirrors. If you roll with windows off you can see everything effortlessly by turning your head! Until I towed, I didn't use mirrors.

Also when you don't have any doors there are no mirrors. I tried to find footless mirror but none were worth a $hit

·
Registered
765 Posts
Don't forget to roll the windows down before you unplug them though, makes it much easier to handle!!
i forget every time!!! ...which brings me to...

the unplugging takes getting used to... push the slider down... then push the center black plastic piece in.. finally pull down

when your "power convenience doors" are unplugged the interior light will only illuminate manually. the radio stays on after you exit [but does shut off] i think that's all...

you may find that mirrorless wranglers are illegal in some states.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you have the EVIC display you can cycle through the personal settings and turn RAP (retained accessorie power) off. If you dont do this and take the doors off the radio will stay on as you hop out of the doorless Jeep.

The first time I took the doors off I forgot to change the RAP and I turned off the Jeep and hopped out and came back around 10 minutes later to music playing and I thought WTF as I look at the key in my hand, figured out pretty quick what it was and now I dont have that issue since I turned it off at all times.

I chalked it up to noob move since it happened the first time doorless.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts