Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a dual top jeep 2 door i have had the jeep for 6 months and i dont plan on ever using the soft top or taking the hard top off.. love th look just not my thing and i live in NYC and dont have anywhere to store the hard top.

my question is and sorry for being a silly jeep owner on this.. but my question is...

when i got the jeep they gave me boxes with the soft top windows and hood in it? i never opened it and its still in the box..

can you put the windows and top on? and have it hooked up with the hard top on? like what i mean is i need to store the boxes and soft top windows and i dont know where to store it so i am thinking of putting it on my jeep. like taking off the hard top, then setting up the soft top like its ready to go driving soft top but i then need to put the hard top back on. can i do that or do ytou need to take off the windows and top cover before doing that like.. im sorry i sound so stupid describing this. i love jeep its my second one i am just not a convertable or soft top guy.

please try and make scense of my post and explain to me if i can have the full soft top hooked up and ready to go with the hard top on as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Unfortunately no, you cannot have the soft top on the vehicle then put the hardtop back on. Because the soft top hardware uses some of the same bolt holes as the hardtop. So it is one or the other... If you never plan on taking off the hard top you can always sell the soft top should get a premium for being NiB

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
You can, but holes will wear in the soft top over time.

It voids the soft top warranty also.

I would say take the hard top off and give the soft top a go. More versatile.

Unless you have a heated garage, I would wsit for warmer weather, if you are in NY

Once you put the top down and feel the sun, you will never want the top up again. You will also curse cold days. ;)

·
Registered
805 Posts
explain to me if i can have the full soft top hooked up and ready to go with the hard top on as well.
No you can't run both. As above, not only would the fit be problematic, but if you leave the soft top attached under the hard top (as it is shipped) then it voids the warranty of the soft top. The hard top can rub the soft top (think rips and holes.) if you haven't yet, it should be taken out of the jeep regardless of what you decide to do. it sounds like you should sell the soft top for your situation as you never intend to use it. Should be able to unload it fairly easily especially as spring comes and people are looking for soft tops.

·
Super Moderator
10,613 Posts
If you don't plan on ever using the soft top, you can get pretty penny for it. There are tons of people looking for them. The premium top, in particular, is VERY desirable!

It's easier to sell if the windows and door surrounds are all in their original packaging. Wait for warmer weather, when people start thinking of taking the top off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wont sell it will just give it back when i sell the car in 2 or 3 years to get my 3rd jeep.. will never get dual top again that bar in the back blocking half the trunk is so anyoing

·
Registered
805 Posts
wont sell it will just give it back when i sell the car in 2 or 3 years to get my 3rd jeep.. will never get dual top again that bar in the back blocking half the trunk is so anyoing
If you run it or not you need to take the soft top off from under the hardtop. If you leave it there I don't know that it will add anything to your trade since it won't be covered by warranty and may be significantly damaged.

Then the bar won't be there, the top will be safe, you can sell it or keep it, and you will be more happy with your jeep.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I had the dealership take mine off before I even took delivery. I have a large dog that needs to get in and out, and that damn bar blocks access.

Mine is sitting in storage, waiting for better weather, unless I can find a bikini top that is easier to put up/down for the summer months.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The bar shouldn't be in the way because you're not supposed to use both at the same time. Remove one. It's that simple. And as mentioned, it will cause damage if you leave both installed.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Either take off the hard top and pop up the soft top upon delivery or take off the hard top, remove the soft top and put hard top back on. It is not really that difficult to comprehend, is it? Sure it is a pain to do that but that is what you NEED to do! Otherwise it will wear through anyplace the soft top comes in contact with the hard top. Take it out and store it somewhere safe so you can include if you sell or trade in later on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts