Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some opinions/insight. I live in Alabama and have a '99 Wrangler. I have a soft top on it right now and have terrible luck with the rear window zipping in right. I've tried tons of methods or whatever that I've found online to make it easier it just won't work right lol. So my question is: If I went with a bikini top, tonneau cover for the back and the windbreaker window...would that be good enough for the winter months in AL??

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
in Alabama yes. I did that on my yj here in Montana last winter. you'll be fine. as long as it seals well and you don't mind the wind noise.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,124 Posts
I have run with a tonneau, windbreaker, and bikini top many times over the years and there are just too many gaps for wind-driven rain and cold wind to get into during the Winter. Especially the door jamb's rear-most upper corner area where it's wide open. In decent weather it's ok but not when it's raining and cold with any kind of wind. I had to stuff a towel into those gaps during windy rain storms and it was too much of a PITA... I ended up putting the soft top back on during those times.

·
Registered
267 Posts
not to hi-jack your thread but i am in AL as well and my factory soft top back window in impossible to zip up, its just to old.. i guess im going to get a new soft top anybody been there done that with some wisdom?? i was looking at the quadratec soft top..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had he same problem when I first got my jeep. I ditched the old one and bought a smitty built one off ebay but the rear window still wouldn't zip in. The tracks kept coming apart. I called them and had a new sent out, same problem. Once you get to the corners it's such a pain and I had some of the threads come undone in the back bottom corners.. Exactly why I'm going the bikini top route.

I'm gonna go with this setup I think:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/safari...lack-denim-factory-soft-top-52531-15kwa1.html

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
tallzdatank said:
in Alabama yes. I did that on my yj here in Montana last winter. you'll be fine. as long as it seals well and you don't mind the wind noise.
How the heck do you get through the winters up there? If I still lived in Great Falls, I'd be having my hard top on as soon as summer was over lol.

But I run a safari top and tonneau in the spring/summer and love it. Will probably end up getting a wraparound wind screen though to stay a little warmer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Have you tried zipper cleaner and lube? I haven't tried it yet but my windows zip in and out fine but I'm sure someone can chime in about them.

image-3812910654.png

image-4015454444.jpg

Can get either from Quadratec...or the Mopar from your local Jeep dealer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I live in AL and put on a safari bikini top a couple of weeks ago. I have full doors and may try this all winter, but it's only the dd when it's not raining. Cold hasn't been an issue yet, but we'll see.
When I had a problem with a window zipper on my Smittybilt top, I released the front of the top to create a little slack in it and it zipped in much easier.
Eric

1 - 10 of 10 Posts